Why is it soo stinky! Solution??

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hello everyone. Okay I love raising ducks and i have had them for a couple of months now.(since Nov) The thing is that i have noticed in a long way that they are of course messy, but most of all i have noticed in comparison with our hens that their poop is STINKY!!
LOL....

I wanted to ask...why is duck poop soo stinky compared to other animals(poultry) like chickens, etc I know every animals poops their own way, and stink another but i am just wondering.

Is there a way to make the stink be a little less..stinky??

By the way i know food affects the animals feces but does food have to do anything with ducks' poop?...Uhm I wonder if there is a type of food that will make duck poop smell better
wink.png

Finally do Geese( i want sebs) poop smell worse or the same as duck poop? is it as wet as ducks?

i appreciate the help guys as some of you might have more experience than me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have one pair of geese that have been here for about two weeks, and from my "vast" experience
gig.gif
the geese poo is just as wet as duck poo only green and bigger splats. (I have adult geese, not goslings).

My duckies stink too - no idea why, maybe it's the combo of all the water they mess around the place mixing with the poo and wet bedding?

meri

they say that expression poop like a goose for a reason, a goose can produce a pound a day, that's a lot, i think ducks are just the messiest poopers, they drink constantly so their poop is like "the crab apple splatters"
lau.gif

protein makes any animals poop smell more. Geese are vegatarians, so their poop doesn't smell as bad. Ducks eat a lot of protein so they stink... Dogs eat mostly protein and they smell pretty bad.

Ever go to the zoo? The cat house almost always smells worse than the rhino house. lol.

(for more info, you can read "Everybody poops" a kid's book. It explains it nicely, lol.

yuckyuck.gif
LOL I like that book when i first read it It cracked me UP!!

Anyway thats what i was thinking that maybe it has something to do with their food...should i maybe feed them gardenia flowers to scent it up nicely? lol

if you guys know of anything else please let me know, thanks again!

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom