Why is My Chick a Loner?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ghostchick, May 1, 2009.

1. Ghostchick

Ghostchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    I have 19 chicks, 1 week old, of maybe 4 different breeds. I have my one exotic chick, Elvis, who I think is a White Crested Black Polish. These were from McMurray. I am a little worried because Elvis looks to be by itself usually. He is small. The rest are pullets, can this maybe be because he is a rooster? I usually call it a "he". He seems ok healthwise. Are they keeping away maybe for another reason? I feel bad for the little one! Is this just the pecking order? I am new to chicks, so any help will do!

2. kycowgirl78

kycowgirl78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Morgantown, Ky
    I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of help but I do have a similar situation. Last weekend I got 8 chicks from one person, 1 from another that I keep seperate anyway cause it's an exotic breed, 2 goslings from someone else and 1 single chick from the lady with the goslings. The goslings stick together, my 6 peking ducks that I purchased together previously run together, the 8 I bought from the 1 lady stay together but my single chick stays off by itself. Whenever I feed, all the other come into the feed pan or at least fairly close but she just walks around the perimeter of the pen pecking at stuff on the ground. Makes you wonder. Maybe someone will give us both some answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by