Why is my chick doing this?

Erba

Crowing
5 Years
May 4, 2018
Bollschweil, Germany
I have two over 4 week old chicks, fully feathered and now out in the coop and run. I also have a 4 day old chick in the brooder in the coop. Today while I was cleaning the coop, the 4 day old was making a big fuss, wanting to get to the 4 week olds. So I shut everything up and let it out with the others. The four week old were lovely to the little one, but then the little one starts trying to pick in their eyes as they were resting in the nest box! I immediately put naughty chick back in the brooder. I was shocked, what kind of behaviour is that? I was all going so well until that happened. 20190826_142242.jpg

Now the four week olds are staying out of reach. LOL They take their naps in a nest box and the little one gets frantic because it can't get up into it, no matter how it tries. I think the poor chick thinks they are its mother hens. I will keep trying and the four week olds are very gentle with the chick, even if that chick is a wild one with enormous energy and determination!
the little one wants to be top dog in the pecking order, they are just humoring it, sounds like they are pretty good month olds. My newly hatched this morning one just pecked on one that was working on hatching and not sure it will make it

Now the four week olds are staying out of reach. LOL They take their naps in a nest box and the little one gets frantic because it can't get up into it, no matter how it tries. I think the poor chick thinks they are its mother hens. I will keep trying and the four week olds are very gentle with the chick, even if that chick is a wild one with enormous energy and determination!

Back
Top Bottom