1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHY IS MY CHICK SNEEZING?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My 3 weeks 6 days old chicks are sneezing! not a lot, just enough to notice. They were a little at the beginning, and i payed no mind. But just now when i went to check on them before i went to bed, one of my Gold Stars woke up, and sneezed, a couple times in a row then 'wiped' her beak on the shavings. They are eating, drinking, peeping, running around, everything a chick does. No mucus or anything, just a sneeze. I'm i too worried?! HELP!

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do it all the time. Both batches have sneezed some like that. It's probably just feed or bedding dust getting in their nose. I wouldn't worry unless it gets more noticable.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Sneezing is pretty normal in chicks, it can be from dust or if some water has 'gone up the wrong way'. If there's no mucus, it's most likely harmless. :)

4. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    a few of mine did that too. I didn't do anything about it for quite a few wks. Once it seemed like it was spreading i added some meds just a precaution.

we were having other issues too....like a coop delay and a brooder thats getting too small

5. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Probably dust if you are using pine shavings. I have noticed it in mine as well. I have a couple older birds who sneeze while taking a dirt/sand bath out in the run.

6. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I am fairly certain the sneezing I noticed in one of my chicks was the pine shaving bedding - it would seem worse after the bedding was fluffed, or after they ran around in there and stirred it up themselves. Now that they are outside in the coop, I rarely if ever hear a sneeze out of any of them.

The chick that was sneezing was being brooded on newspaper before I brought her home.

7. Birdking

Birdking Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2015
    thank you i have a dutch and silky bantam that sneese pretty regularly but seem extremely healthy. they eat dry crumbles(medicated) and are one cedar shavings.
    maybe its the shavings.

8. TinkyPinky

TinkyPinky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth
    You use cedar shavings??! I read on a Page of how to make a brooder and it said to not put shavings down because sometimes if a chick eats a shaving, sometimes the shaving gets stuck inside the chick and the chick dies.

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi, [​IMG]
    Get rid of the cedar shavings. they are not good for baby chicks. Go to Tractor Supply and get the white bale of hardwood shavings. Not the yellow bale. The white bale should smell like dry fresh sawdust. It is low dust shavings. The yellow bale will probably smell like turpentine. Not what you want. Put down about 2-3 inches of shavings from the white bale. Things should improve.
    Best,
    Karen

10. TinkyPinky

TinkyPinky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Australia Perth
    Hahaha that's so cool! I also telled him he/she shouldn't use Cedar shavings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by