Why is my chicken flopping around/weak?

hawksnestfarm

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
The other week, I noticed my 2-month old chicken Willow was acting a little sleepier than the others. She slept a lot and didn't like to walk or run.

Over time, her health spiraled down and now she is completely unable to walk without falling forward or onto her sides. She has completely lost control over her legs and once she gets her legs moving she cant stop them without running into something.

Her leg muscles are almost nonexistent and she is very underweight. Despite being so sickly she is still hungry, but she can't get food and water without my help.

I thought it was Marek's disease but she doesn't have greying eyes, rough skin, tumors, or vision impairment.

I have been raising chickens for 5 years and I have never seen this happen to one of my hens! Does anyone have any idea what she has and what the treatment should be?

Please help!

Last edited:
It could still be Marek's Disease. Are her legs paralyzed, or just weak? Does she stick one out in front of the other?

Vitamin B deficiency is also a possiblilty. I'd start her on some vitamins as soon as possible. Get some Polyvisol Infant Vitamins (without iron), and give a few drops to her every day or so.

Hope this helps! And, good luck!

It still sounds like Mareks. There is not always eye involvement. They get tumors later. Has she had any symptoms of coccidiosis? She is at the right age for either of those diseases. There isn't always bloody stools.

Her legs aren't paralyzed, but they are very weak. I've been feeding her a number of vitamins and giving her Marmite, with no results unfortunately.

Is there any way to check for Marek's without taking her to the doctor?

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
Her legs aren't paralyzed, but they are very weak. I've been feeding her a number of vitamins and giving her Marmite, with no results unfortunately.

Is there any way to check for Marek's without taking her to the doctor?

Thanks for your advice!
You are welcome! I can't think of any way to check for Marek's without the bird being dead, so I can't help you there. Hopefully, someone else with more experience will chime in and you can get some more help. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Back
Top Bottom