Why is my chicken laying wrinkled eggs?!

Okay. Got 7 Golden Commies (not communists). They all lay eggs. They are healthy, well fed, have a surplus of water. They don't act stressed, they are really sweet. But one laid this egg. Can someone tell me what's going on?
DSC00597.JPG
DSC00597.JPG
DSC00597.JPG
DSC00598.JPG
DSC00599.JPG
DSC00600.JPG

Do you feed your birds oyster shells? they have a high source of calcium. feeding them eggshells also gives them some. (however, this can lead to egg eaters if you aren't careful enough)

What are you feeding your girls?
Are they "new" to laying?
Are the shells soft?

If you're feeding layer, it's still good to have Oyster Shells available for them in a separate dish. Newbies to laying sometimes have quirks, their system is developing but more likely they are in need of more calcium as others have pointed out.

Okay. Got 7 Golden Commies (not communists). They all lay eggs. They are healthy, well fed, have a surplus of water. They don't act stressed, they are really sweet. But one laid this egg. Can someone tell me what's going on?View attachment 1784170 View attachment 1784170 View attachment 1784170 View attachment 1784171 View attachment 1784172 View attachment 1784173
This article might help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Okay. Got 7 Golden Commies (not communists). They all lay eggs. They are healthy, well fed, have a surplus of water. They don't act stressed, they are really sweet. But one laid this egg. Can someone tell me what's going on?View attachment 1784170 View attachment 1784170 View attachment 1784170 View attachment 1784171 View attachment 1784172 View attachment 1784173

How long has she been laying eggs?
It looks like a slab sided egg to me.
An egg like that is usually from being kept in the shell gland too long, it's more commonly seen in young layers.
Not every odd egg is due to lack of calcium, sometimes there's just a "glitch". I would see if it continues before making any drastic changes to diet.

It is always a good idea to make oyster shell available free choice for laying pullets/hens.

Back
Top Bottom