Why is my chicken sitting in the nest with no eggs for a long time?

You have TWO broody hens!!! That's what's up!
big_smile.png
Congrats! When a hen goes broody, it means she wants to sit on a nest of eggs and hatch chicks. Silkie are notorious for this quality, and make some of the best moms. The downside, is that sometimes you don't get many eggs from them since they go broody so much. It is possible to break them of their broodiness, but I do not know how. Maybe someone more expierienced will chime in.

Again, Congratz!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have some silkies that are about to hatch very soon in my bator.... should i put them under her when they hatch? so they chicks no that shes her mother

Quote:
I have some silkies that are about to hatch very soon in my bator.... should i put them under her when they hatch? so they chicks no that shes her mother

I would just leave them in the 'bator.
1. Because the sudden chill may kill them before they hatch.
2. Since the hens haven't been sitting for the full 21 days, they may not stop right away. (I think that's how it goes, not sure.)

You may get away with putting the eggs under the hens, just make sure they stay warm on the way to the coop. I'm not 100% sure, so wait and see if someone more experienced can help you.
smile.png

Quote:

I would just leave them in the 'bator.
1. Because the sudden chill may kill them before they hatch.
2. Since the hens haven't been sitting for the full 21 days, they may not stop right away. (I think that's how it goes, not sure.)

You may get away with putting the eggs under the hens, just make sure they stay warm on the way to the coop. I'm not 100% sure, so wait and see if someone more experienced can help you.
smile.png

I've put eggs under many times-go for it! Preferably before they hatch & then make sure that the babies & moms can't get too cold.

I've put eggs under a broody and it worked great: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/hatching-chicks-from-eggs.php

Now
that we have an incubator (never used) I'd like to try the reverse: Have a broody hen set the eggs for 20 days and then bring them inside to incubate and let the kids watch them hatch the last day.

My buff orp hen would go broody all the time and would stay that way for a month if we didn't stick eggs under her or break her of broodiness.

I have put day old chicks under my hen after she had been sitting on nothing for 2 months. She was thrilled with her 20 babies.

I had 2 eggs under my silkie in the breeders coop, and the temps in there stayed in the teens to 20s the whole time. Cute little babies they are!
wink.png

If you want to give your hens the thrill of babies, wrap the eggs in a warm towel or heating pad on low and take them out to your broodies. Then you won't have to worry about heating a brooder, because the hens will do it all. It's up to you.
I've hatched chicks under the broodies then put them in a brooder to get the mommas back into the production mode as soon as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom