Why is my chicken sitting in the nest with no eggs for a long time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarahloveschickens, Dec 16, 2008.

1. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My two silkies have been sitting in there nesting box for a LONG TIME wiht no eggs coming out i mean its been 6 days almost a week
    whats up?

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    You have TWO broody hens!!! That's what's up! [​IMG] Congrats! When a hen goes broody, it means she wants to sit on a nest of eggs and hatch chicks. Silkie are notorious for this quality, and make some of the best moms. The downside, is that sometimes you don't get many eggs from them since they go broody so much. It is possible to break them of their broodiness, but I do not know how. Maybe someone more expierienced will chime in.

Again, Congratz! [​IMG]

3. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I have some silkies that are about to hatch very soon in my bator.... should i put them under her when they hatch? so they chicks no that shes her mother

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I have some silkies that are about to hatch very soon in my bator.... should i put them under her when they hatch? so they chicks no that shes her mother

I would just leave them in the 'bator.
    1. Because the sudden chill may kill them before they hatch.
    2. Since the hens haven't been sitting for the full 21 days, they may not stop right away. (I think that's how it goes, not sure.)

You may get away with putting the eggs under the hens, just make sure they stay warm on the way to the coop. I'm not 100% sure, so wait and see if someone more experienced can help you. [​IMG]

5. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA

I would just leave them in the 'bator.
    1. Because the sudden chill may kill them before they hatch.
    2. Since the hens haven't been sitting for the full 21 days, they may not stop right away. (I think that's how it goes, not sure.)

You may get away with putting the eggs under the hens, just make sure they stay warm on the way to the coop. I'm not 100% sure, so wait and see if someone more experienced can help you. [​IMG]

6. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I've put eggs under many times-go for it! Preferably before they hatch & then make sure that the babies & moms can't get too cold.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I've put eggs under a broody and it worked great: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/hatching-chicks-from-eggs.php

Now
    that we have an incubator (never used) I'd like to try the reverse: Have a broody hen set the eggs for 20 days and then bring them inside to incubate and let the kids watch them hatch the last day.

My buff orp hen would go broody all the time and would stay that way for a month if we didn't stick eggs under her or break her of broodiness.

8. elaucht

elaucht Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    I have put day old chicks under my hen after she had been sitting on nothing for 2 months. She was thrilled with her 20 babies.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I had 2 eggs under my silkie in the breeders coop, and the temps in there stayed in the teens to 20s the whole time. Cute little babies they are! [​IMG]

If you want to give your hens the thrill of babies, wrap the eggs in a warm towel or heating pad on low and take them out to your broodies. Then you won't have to worry about heating a brooder, because the hens will do it all. It's up to you.
    I've hatched chicks under the broodies then put them in a brooder to get the mommas back into the production mode as soon as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Keyword... [​IMG] (Silkies are notoriously broody).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by