Why is my chicken sleeping here?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickenlover26, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Chickenlover26

Chickenlover26 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2014
    Hi all. Any ideas why my chicken is sleeping here instead of inside. She's never done it before. It 11pm here and not warm. I just went and put her inside but straight away she stumbled out the door to get on the landing again. Also i've never shut the door as its very predator proof and its daylight for a couple of hours before i'm up. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hard to tell your arrangement from photo…would look at the roost height and length inside. looks low inside or inside sleeper is on floor? Maybe she wants a higher roost or more room on roost? Or being bumped off inside roost by others. Or if no window inside, prefers a roost with a view.

Could you post daytime photos of inside coop arrangement and roost positions?

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

There are several reasons why she may be doing this.

• The other birds may be picking on her. They may be chasing her away from the roost.
    • There may not be enough roosting space. Each hen should have at least 8 inches of roost space.
    • She may be sick, and therefore more submissive and subdued. Is she acting normal other than this behavior?
    • The roosts inside are too low. Chickens like roosting high up. She may feel more comfortable outside, perhaps on a higher place.
    • She doesn't like the roosts. I've found that my chickens prefer roosting on flat surfaces, instead of on narrower boards. I suspect that they are more comfortable on a larger resting area.

3 people like this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

X2 on Wyandottes7.

5. Chickenlover26

Oct 2, 2014
    Hi, thanks all for your replies. She's always slept inside, acting very like herself in every other way, although i will be watching tomorrow. I will take some photo's in daylight, there's quite abit of room in there for 4, normally they don't take up half of it.There's 2 long perches, 3 sections of floor and 2 nesting boxes, the perches could be abit low but she normally perches on one along with another 2 and one on the floor.
    It is a little strange,i probably could understand if it was warm. Also she is the oldest and the boss of the flock and the others are not happy with the situation. Thanks for your help.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wyandottes X2 She is either being bullied out of the coop or there is not enough room on the bars. For her safety, you need to figure out what is going on and get her inside the coop every night. Even if your run is predator proof, the preds are going to come sniffing around if they see or smell her out there. You don't want to add to the draw of predators at night. Winter is coming and she should be sleeping with the others.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions above, good luck with your hen.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Chickenlover26

Oct 2, 2014
    Hi all back with a update this evening. All was fine today and this evening is back inside where she normally sleeps. So not sure what was happening, def not being picked on as if anything she is the bully boss.My Wyandottes are so docile, they have never pecked at anything, there abit too timid. There was one difference i thought of, everyday i pick out the droppings and sprinkle fresh shavings around. Yesterday was the first day i didn't do it, that's never happened in the 12 months i've owned Meg, maybe the princess didn't like it.... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by