Why is my chicken squating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicnewbie6, Dec 12, 2014.

1. chicnewbie6

chicnewbie6 New Egg

Dec 1, 2014
    Stafford, Virginia
    So my 6 young RIR's have just started laying. I'm not sure which ones. Now whenever I go into the coop one hen squats down and raises her wings. Could someone tell me why she's doing this?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She is 'assuming the position' to be mated by a rooster....if there is not a rooster in the flock, they will do that when people approach and/or pet them.

3. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Oh, boy, this brings back memories. When I first had chickens one started doing this to me. I was asking my questions on an alt. site I cannot get to any more. I title this question "Cringeing chicken" and swore I had never beaten her and why would she do this?
    I think the others on the group got a good laugh from this greenhorn.
    Now when they do this, not having a rooster, I gently grab their backs just over the tail and shake them gently, saying, "here's that old bad rooster!". Then they shake it off and walk away, certainly thinking I am the biggest rooster on earth.

4. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    I have one who does this, she also submissively growls 'ughhhh' it's hilarious!!

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Pullets start doing this crouching or squatting behavior 1 to 2 weeks before they begin laying eggs, so in combination with red comb/wattles, it's a good sign that a pullet will begin laying very soon. They'll typically continue this squatting behavior as long as they're laying.

Older hens will do this as well, but I've noticed that my hens stop this squatting behavior when they're molting, probably because they don't lay when they molt and they don't like being touched when pin feathers are coming in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by