why is my chicks beak turning black?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by funkychickenmom, Jun 21, 2017.

1. funkychickenmom

funkychickenmom Chirping

May 19, 2017
    ok so lately things have not been going well on my little farm. I got some chickens in a trade and had to deal with a lot of sickness and mites but when I think I have everything covered something new happens... I have 6 cochin chicks that I hatched in the incubator. All 6 have been completely healthy and happy since may 7th. So today I go out to feed my little feather darlings and noticed that all but one of them have black on there beaks. I don't know if I should worry I am still a little paranoid after all the other sickness we have had lately. they still act normal flying eating drinking.. Can someone please tell me I am just being paranoid. I feel like all I do lately is post that another one of my chickens is not well.

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hard to tell from your photos, have you tried washing it off to see if it is dirt?

funkychickenmom likes this.
  3. funkychickenmom

funkychickenmom Chirping

May 19, 2017
    no I didn't try to wash it will do that tomorrow when it stops raining.. I will feel very silly if it is just dirt :th

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's what comes to mind first, otherwise I don't know why it would be like that, hopefully I'm right.

5. funkychickenmom

funkychickenmom Chirping

May 19, 2017
    sorry it took so long to get back been busy ..but noticed today it is not dirt and the comb of one is starting to turn black on the tips ...im so confused :barnie

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My next guess would be fowl pox.

7. funkychickenmom

funkychickenmom Chirping

May 19, 2017
    will deff look into that thanks

8. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you sure it just came? One of my chicks has a completely black beak, and it wasn't at first. I think it should be fine, none of my hens have yellow beaks.

9. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, than that is not just from growing. :-(
    I hope somebody has answers for you!

10. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chirping

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I think it will be fine this happens to all of my roosters at about 3 months old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: