Why is my Chinese Quail female eating her eggs?

Cherlyn

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Alconbury, England
Have owned her for a week, and gotten two eggs in that time. Each time she lays it and then promptly tears it apart and eats the shell and some of the yolk/whites. Why is she doing this?

~Cherlyn

We bought her from a garden and leisure centre here in England - they take wonderful care of their birds.
sad.png
Is this just some quirk that is here to stay or can I do something to make her stop?

~Cherlyn

That is the problem - I do not know. I know it is a quail mix, but no protein level is given. I supplement with wet kitten kibble about once a week. Most people here in England use chick crumb - no wide variety of game bird feed.
sad.png

Maybe she wants more calcium?

~Cherlyn

If she keeps on eating her own egg try to separate it from her.

Make sure that your quail is always full so she dont have to eat her eggs
smile.png

She and her mate always have access to their food and they eat a LOT.
smile.png
And as soon as the egg is out, she attacks it! Unfortunately I cannot wait next to her in the hopes of grabbing the egg before she destroys it - that would be a colossal waste of time.
sad.png

~Cherlyn

If the female is eating her eggs u might need to cull her cause she will eat all of her eggs and if u dont want to cull hert try to get some oyster shell and see where she goes but if it continues you'll never get any egg production out of her

Back
Top Bottom