Why is my duck laying eggs in the water!!!

Animal Owner

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
I have a male and female pekin duck. I have separated them because the male is being very rued to the female. But anyways... My female duck has made a nest in her box and has laid like 30 something eggs. Everyday she is laying on her nest. But she is starting to lay eggs in her little kitty pool. I have researched a lot but all i can find is that somehow she knows that the eggs are bad or aren't fertilized. Others say that she is scared cause something disturbed her nest. But if something disturbed her nest she would not be laying on the eggs. So I need HELP! I am a first timer at this that's why I am asking. So please someone help me! I am very scared :( When she lays the eggs in the water instead of the water staying brown it turns red. So, I don't know what's going on.

Ducks lay eggs anywhere and everywhere. Since she's still laying she's not broody. I'm not sure what's going on with the water, but you might do a full water change in the pool before she lays in it again. You also didn't indicate how much water the pool holds. It seems unlikely she's losing enough blood to turn the water red and not showing any effects. But giving her clean water to do her thing in will give you a better idea of what might be going on.

If you want ducklings you're probably going to have better luck incubating the eggs. Eight to 10 is really all she could cover herself so she has way too many now. Ducks and geese lay a lot more eggs than they hatch and they aren't the world's best parents. They step on the babies, lose patience, and sometimes wander off and seem to forget they have kids.

Edit: and if it's been more than two weeks since they were seperated, you'll have to let the drake be rude to her again if you want fertile eggs.

Last edited:
My girls all lay between 6-8am (day break+2-3hrs) and I keep them in their coop until 8:30-9am everyday. If I let them out at 7 I get eggs all over the place. The dirty dozen will typical use 3 different places and take turns dropping those treasure. It’s comical to watch. Someday I’ll time lapse some camera footage or speed it up as it’s kinda funny to see them constantly jump up and take someone else’s “special spot”

Ducks lay eggs anywhere and everywhere. Since she's still laying she's not broody. I'm not sure what's going on with the water, but you might do a full water change in the pool before she lays in it again. You also didn't indicate how much water the pool holds. It seems unlikely she's losing enough blood to turn the water red and not showing any effects. But giving her clean water to do her thing in will give you a better idea of what might be going on.

If you want ducklings you're probably going to have better luck incubating the eggs. Eight to 10 is really all she could cover herself so she has way too many now. Ducks and geese lay a lot more eggs than they hatch and they aren't the world's best parents. They step on the babies, lose patience, and sometimes wander off and seem to forget they have kids.

Edit: and if it's been more than two weeks since they were seperated, you'll have to let the drake be rude to her again if you want fertile eggs.
oh well in that case should i raise the ducklings myself or is it best for the momma to be with them. and also how would i incubate them?

I'm not sure how many ducklings you want or what you intend to do with them. Two ducks might be all you need in which case you should collect the eggs, use them for baking, or sell them. Ducks lay about 250.eggs a year so I don't think it's practical to just leave them all with the duck. If you want more you'll probably want to incubate them and raise them yourself for their first 45 days.

If you want to incubate egg you'll need an incubator to do some of what a broody duck would do. If you want to hatch any of the eggs you have now you'll need an incubator because your duck isn't broody. And I mentioned that ducks aren't the best parents so you'd be prepared fro things like ducklings being picked up by the wing and tossed out of the road. If you thought the drake was rough on the duck you don't want to see him in a bad mood with ducklings.

ducks and geese lay where ever the mood strikes them. Don't worry, there's no need to get

I'm not sure how many ducklings you want or what you intend to do with them. Two ducks might be all you need in which case you should collect the eggs, use them for baking, or sell them. Ducks lay about 250.eggs a year so I don't think it's practical to just leave them all with the duck. If you want more you'll probably want to incubate them and raise them yourself for their first 45 days.

If you want to incubate egg you'll need an incubator to do some of what a broody duck would do. If you want to hatch any of the eggs you have now you'll need an incubator because your duck isn't broody. And I mentioned that ducks aren't the best parents so you'd be prepared from things like ducklings being picked up by the wing and tossed out of the road. If you thought the drake was rough on the duck you don't want to see him in a bad mood with ducklings.
Well the drake wasn't letting the female get water, food or even get in the pool! He also kept dragging her around the pen by the neck. So we have separated them and since they have been separated she has been laying on them more. I think she was stressed and that's why she was laying the eggs in the pool cause she isn't laying them in the pool anymore and is laying on her eggs more often like she should be. Before when the drake was with her she kept coming outside all the time. That's why they are separated and i don't think i want to put them back together.

Back
Top Bottom