Why is my duck unhappy ????

andreamdavis

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
I have a duck and drake peking-mallard cross over a year old.

For at least a month or more the female does not seem happy. In the morning for at least the first three hours upon being let out of their house, she squawks up a storm (she never use to do that) and walks around scrunched up with her shoulders up to her ears. Her feathers don't seem as shiny and full as they used too but I don't think she is molting because I don't see any feathers around the yard. Also she used to lay an egg a day and after reaching a year old she has slowed down but now I have not seen an egg in a least 5 days. The rest of the day she acts normal. Is she just not a morning person? I'm starting to wonder if the male is becoming too much for her, she used to be the top of the pecking order now it seems he is.

I have looked for answers everywhere and have found none, so I ask this forum for any and all suggests or resources so I may make my duck happy again.

Thanks
Andrea

Hi Andrea and welcome to the forum. Is it possible you duck has a secret nest somewhere- and that is why you have found no eggs for the last five days? Some of the symptoms you describe- the way she is so noisy and all fluffed up can describe a duck when broody.

Hens don't care to be around drakes when they are broody unless they have a pretty strong pair bond. I had a pair of mallards when I was younger along with several other species. The drake would stay by the hen when she was on her nest, and she didn't seem to mind. She did not want to be around any other ducks though. They stayed paired up like that for years.

Thats how my broody duck acts, And when she isnt broody she is the best duck to have. But She rights around quacking up a storm all hunched out, I just say she is being a female dog. Cause she is :p

Thanks for all the advice, I feel more relaxed. I have looked around for a secret nest and found none, their yard isn't that large. Also at night they are put in their house and when they are let out in the morning there is an egg in the nest box (at least in the past). She did lay an egg yesterday, a little larger than normal.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom