Why is my EE dying?

Josh45640

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
SE Ohio
I went out to the coop to collect eggs and feed and water and one of my EE hens is dying. She was laying on the floor on her side and appeared to be dead. I picked her up and she lifted her head and looked at me. I took her out in the sunlight to check her out and she has no visible marks of trauma at all. She is skin and bones like she hasn't been eating at all and is barely breathing. I laid her in the grass and she went back to looking like she was dead except for some shallow breathing. As of yesterday, she seemed fine and flighty as usual. I checked the rest of the chickens and they are healthy and meaty. The EE chickens that I have were purchased from TSC this spring and I have raised them from day old chicks. They aren't old enough to lay yet. They are housed with some 2 year old dominiques and some 3 month old Cochins. That have all gotten along just fine and there has never been any fighting other than some play sparring from the chicks. I've never had any problem with disease here. What could have happened? She is still alive right now but I don't think she will be much longer.

She's lowest in pecking order and eats last or is bullied away from food?

The weather has stressed her?

I always have one more bowl then bossy chicken (male or female) and put food in all of them, then if each bossy chicken guards one food dish there is still avaliable food.

Pen or free range?

They are in a 10x10 coop with a 20' run. I have 2 feeders and 2 waterers. I give them half a coffee can of cracked corn in the run everyday as well.

If she is lowest on the pecking order or if it was the weather, why would she have made it this long? Her and the other EE's were the "originals" in this coop. The others were added later. If it was the weather, wouldn't the rest of the chickens be stressed as well? They all seem to be healthy and happy.

The first thing I noticed on her was that she was complete skin and bones, almost no meat on her legs or breast. However, she has a full crop. This is all by feel. I plan on cutting her open if she dies to see if I can notice anything.

Quote:
Worms?

The weather and being lowest are stressors, stress kills- each animal or person has a tolerance for stress, prey animals like chickens hide stress and illness- weakness is not tolerated well in a flock-

Often the lowest will die first of a problem because they are bullied or harassed or getting less food.

Cracked corn = chicken candy, its like chocolate pancakes- not much in nutritional value.

It might be like this, oh she's lowest- and the weather it hot/dry- whatever- and we won't let her eat/drink much ... and she just got a full blown worm/lice/mite infestation (weather also) ...and she was hiding all of this - now showing it.

Guess I should give them another round of wormer just incase. It just blows my mind that this one chicken is healthy one day and dying the next. I've never had one this far behind the rest health wise for no apparent reason. The fact that her crop is full of food shows that she is eating. Thanks for the help, I'll start some precautionary worming and maybe get some DE in there.

Josh, I am so sorry you're dealing with this.
hugs.gif
I noticed your post because my beloved EE is also sick (See post: My EE is sick! What could be wrong? in this same section)

Mine is two years old; I took her to the vet this morning and they agree something is very wrong but don't know what it is so I assume they have ruled out infectious disease, internal egglaying, worms, parasites, etc.

It is so very frustrating to not know what is wrong and not be able to help them.

One question I have for Fire Tigeris: are you suggesting that scratch is deadly? I give my chickens scratch as a treat and to entice them to the coop when I put them away. This could be killing them?????
ep.gif

I hate to hear that about your EE.

I'm more worried about the rest of the flock in the coop than I am this one chicken. I'm used to losing a chicken occasionally, that's part of having chickens. I'm just not used to not knowing what it is that caused it.

I've always gave my chickens a little bit of scratch to give them something to peck at while they're in the run. I know that it really docent give them much to live on, but they always have two feeders full of layena so I don't worry about it. I've never had a problem with it before. Maybe this one took a liking to the corn and didn't eat anything else?

I'd really rather not worm them right now if I can help it. The older hens are laying really good right now and my incubators are full. I would hate to waste all those eggs over the next 14 days.

I'm going thought that now with one of my EE's. She had an impacted crop, grass and a good size rock blocked her. Check my threads for what I've been doing and issues.

Quote:
I don't think Fire Tigeris meant cracked corn is deadly, more that it's like junk food. I have heard on BYC that scratch (not the same as cracked corn) during summer overheats the birds and is best saved for cooler weather. I have been told to feed lay mash to adult hens, so I have and offer treats like cabbage, grapes, etc. The mash is the primary food though.

I am sorry for your situation with your EE. I hope she recovers and gets back to her old self.

Worms or Impacted crop would be first on my list. If her crop feels like a bean bag and she has a sour smell then impacted/ sour crop. If her crop is just normally full, then she is eating but worms or infection are not letting her absorb it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom