Why is my hen crying?

PinkyB

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Hiram, GA
Hi all. Relatively new to BYC, had chickens for a couple of years. I just built a new coop and run for my two year old Buff Orpington and Barred Rock hens, a Partridge Wyandotte and Welsummer rooster of unknown age. I transitioned them to the new coop two nights ago, and the girls easily found their new nesting boxes and laid a few eggs this week. My hens make the usual happy cackles and clucking noises, and definitely all have their own personalities. Today, however, I went into the run to put some finishing touches on the coop, and noticed that my Buff hen was making this odd noise repeatedly, only stopping to eat and then resuming the noise. It sounds as if she is crying, or whining almost. She is not tame at all, and does not like to be touched. Today though, she approached me several times as if she was trying to tell me something. I also noticed she looks a little thinner than normal. She is eating and drinking normally, and seems normal other than the crying. I also noticed that the rooster was really hovering over her, as if he was concerned too. Suggestions? Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom