Why is my hen sitting on eggshells??

PetsNOTfood27

Hatching
Sep 2, 2019
Hiii. I've had chickens a couple years, but am still learning. I have a hen, shes about 5 months old. Shes under my concrete steps sitting on "eggs" shes been there about 3 or 4 days and when she went for food and water yesterday we saw that all the eggs are just eggshells. But she went right back to sitting o n them. Why?? And how do I stop this before anything happens to her?

Hiii. I've had chickens a couple years, but am still learning. I have a hen, shes about 5 months old. Shes under my concrete steps sitting on "eggs" shes been there about 3 or 4 days and when she went for food and water yesterday we saw that all the eggs are just eggshells. But she went right back to sitting o n them. Why?? And how do I stop this before anything happens to her?
Hello PetsNOTfood27.
Welcome to BYC.
It seems likely that your pullet has laid eggs and sat and either she has broken the eggs and eaten the contents or more probably a rat given the location.
The first step is to remove all the egg shells, destroy the nest and if possible block of access to that area.
If you pullet remains broody there are numerous articles on BYC that can help you deal with this.

Why?? And how do I stop this before anything happens to her?
Because she's broody, they will sit on nothing if the hormone flow is strong enough.
I would get her out of there, clean it up, and block it off so they can't lay there.
Keep her confined to coop and run until you decide whether to let her set or not.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @PetsNOTfood27
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-2_9-14-10.png

Back
Top Bottom