Why is my hens pecking on my roos cone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carmelia, Oct 19, 2008.

1. carmelia

carmelia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Western Indiana
    My Barred Rock roo's cone has black aroung the edges where the hens peck at him. I'm not sure why they do this; but he seems to let them. He is very protective of them and can be alittle aggressive.[​IMG].....so I don't think he is being a wimp. Has anyone ever seen this behavior?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think that depends on what the cone is. [​IMG] My hens have been pecking at base of my roos neck. He puts up with it but barely. He has a bald spot there now.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hey, my hens do that to my roos neck too. It's totally bald. He just stands there when they do it too.

Anyone have a clue on this behavior?

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:First of all, [​IMG] ! We are glad that you are here!

I think that you are referring to your roosters comb (on top of his head) or maybe his wattles (below his chin). My hens have done the same thing to all my roosters. I think that is typical behavior. He just needs to assert himself a little more and show them who's boss! But I don't think that there is anything you can do to make him do this.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. carmelia

Jun 3, 2008
    Western Indiana
    Okay.....His comb. You know that pretty little red thing on top of his silly little head. [​IMG]

6. carmelia

Jun 3, 2008
    Western Indiana
    thanks.......I am learning alot....! I appreciate any info I can get. I am new at this as you probably could tell.

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Good to have you here, Carmelia. You'll learn a lot on BYC and the people are sooo nice and don't mind helping people new to the chicken addiction. However, I can't tell you how to stop the hens from doing this unless you were to put a little hat on his head. [​IMG]

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:[​IMG] Wattles.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some roos are just suckers for their hens... My roo just stands there too as the girls pick out his neck feathers. [​IMG]

10. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i was just going to enter a post about my hens pecking out my little roos neck feathers!. we have had him for a couple of months with no pecking, but i just noticed that it looked like he was losing neck feathers, and as he is smaller, was going to ask if there was anything to do to stop it? I don't want him to get hurt, or them to bite him up. He had been standing his ground, but now seems to be submitting to the biggest couple of buff orps. when we got him, he didn't have his long tail feathers, but i thought it was other roosters that did that - maybe it was other hens?

anyone know how to help him out?
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by