Why is my hens pecking on my roos cone?

carmelia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Western Indiana
My Barred Rock roo's cone has black aroung the edges where the hens peck at him. I'm not sure why they do this; but he seems to let them. He is very protective of them and can be alittle aggressive.
somad.gif
.....so I don't think he is being a wimp. Has anyone ever seen this behavior?

Quote:
First of all,
welcome-byc.gif
! We are glad that you are here!

I think that you are referring to your roosters comb (on top of his head) or maybe his wattles (below his chin). My hens have done the same thing to all my roosters. I think that is typical behavior. He just needs to assert himself a little more and show them who's boss! But I don't think that there is anything you can do to make him do this.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Good to have you here, Carmelia. You'll learn a lot on BYC and the people are sooo nice and don't mind helping people new to the chicken addiction. However, I can't tell you how to stop the hens from doing this unless you were to put a little hat on his head.
big_smile.png

i was just going to enter a post about my hens pecking out my little roos neck feathers!. we have had him for a couple of months with no pecking, but i just noticed that it looked like he was losing neck feathers, and as he is smaller, was going to ask if there was anything to do to stop it? I don't want him to get hurt, or them to bite him up. He had been standing his ground, but now seems to be submitting to the biggest couple of buff orps. when we got him, he didn't have his long tail feathers, but i thought it was other roosters that did that - maybe it was other hens?

anyone know how to help him out?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom