Why is my MF D'Uccle hen suddenly turning much more white?

Why did this happen? Is it some kind of delayed maturity, hence why she isn't laying eggs?
More white is normal for a chicken with mottling (the gene that makes the white on Mille Fleurs.) As you've noticed, it can vary from one chicken to another, with more or less white at a young age, and more or less change when they molt.

I don't know why she was not laying eggs, but it probably had nothing to do with the color change.

Given the nice red comb you mentioned, I wonder if she did lay but there was some reason you didn't know about it (maybe she hid a nest, or maybe her eggs looked just like the ones from another hen and they took turns so you thought it was only one laying, or maybe she was laying eggs that broke easily and the chickens ate them before you could find the eggs, or maybe some other explanation.) But whether she was actually laying or not, I don't think it would be related to the changing amount of white in her feathers.

More white is normal for a chicken with mottling (the gene that makes the white on Mille Fleurs.) As you've noticed, it can vary from one chicken to another, with more or less white at a young age, and more or less change when they molt.

I don't know why she was not laying eggs, but it probably had nothing to do with the color change.

Given the nice red comb you mentioned, I wonder if she did lay but there was some reason you didn't know about it (maybe she hid a nest, or maybe her eggs looked just like the ones from another hen and they took turns so you thought it was only one laying, or maybe she was laying eggs that broke easily and the chickens ate them before you could find the eggs, or maybe some other explanation.) But whether she was actually laying or not, I don't think it would be related to the changing amount of white in her feathers.
I see, that makes sense. So it really is just caused by her mottling genes. Interesting.
I wasn't sure if the egg laying and the color change were actually related, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. But I'm 100% sure she isn't laying. I set up a camera in the coop for a while, and she never laid once, even though I got the same number of eggs as usual.

Back
Top Bottom