Why is my MF D'Uccle hen suddenly turning much more white?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I have an MF D'Uccle hen that is a little over a year old. When she went through her juvenile molt, she didn't get too much white in her feathers, and stayed mostly orange and black, unlike her sister, who is the same age, and got quite a bit of white in her feathers. I didn't think much of it, and figured that's just how she looks. What I did think was weird, is that she never started laying, again unlike her sister, who did. Her comb grew and got red, but she just never laid an egg.
Now, fast forward to her first fall molt which started in October. She lost her feathers like normal, but when they grew back, they came in really white. At this point, she's even whiter than her sister.
Why did this happen? Is it some kind of delayed maturity, hence why she isn't laying eggs?

Here are some before and after pictures to show just how drastic this change was.

2866.jpeg
IMG_20220926_115352551 (1).jpg

IMG_20221101_124119520_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221101_124035257_HDR.jpg

Why did this happen? Is it some kind of delayed maturity, hence why she isn't laying eggs?
More white is normal for a chicken with mottling (the gene that makes the white on Mille Fleurs.) As you've noticed, it can vary from one chicken to another, with more or less white at a young age, and more or less change when they molt.

I don't know why she was not laying eggs, but it probably had nothing to do with the color change.

Given the nice red comb you mentioned, I wonder if she did lay but there was some reason you didn't know about it (maybe she hid a nest, or maybe her eggs looked just like the ones from another hen and they took turns so you thought it was only one laying, or maybe she was laying eggs that broke easily and the chickens ate them before you could find the eggs, or maybe some other explanation.) But whether she was actually laying or not, I don't think it would be related to the changing amount of white in her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom