Why is my rooster bowing at me?

A couple of better pictures of hens grooming their roosters.

view

view
I like your reason @Shadrach. I love roosters.

Let's see video of this little man doing his thing. He might be testing the waters so to speak, and working his way up to challenging you.

There are many reasons why a rooster bows and slowly walks sideways according to Dr. Marino. I think in @madysaurus situation, it is #2 or #7:

1. For courtship
  2. A friendly greeting—“I’m happy to see you!”
  3. A show of dominance (which may lead to attack)
  4. A warning to back off
  5. To play
  6. To save face after submitting to a dominant rooster
  7. An expression of unbridled joy
It could be any of the 7 suggestions. With as many people on here posting. “Why has my friendly rooster, suddenly started to attack me?” I think the majority of backyard keepers read the signals wrong. Better to error on the side of caution in my opinion. To each their own though.

It could be any of the 7 suggestions. With as many people on here posting. “Why has my friendly rooster, suddenly started to attack me?” I think the majority of backyard keepers read the signals wrong. Better to error on the side of caution in my opinion. To each their own though.
I get and respect your opinion. My opinion is that erroring on the side of caution shows fear. Roosters are extremely intuitive and can sense that fear. The only time my rooster ever looked like he was going to come up on my heels, was when I was scared he was going to do so.

I get and respect your opinion. My opinion is that erroring on the side of caution shows fear. Roosters are extremely intuitive and can sense that fear. The only time my rooster ever looked like he was going to come up on my heels, was when I was scared he was going to do so.
Apparently you didn’t read my original answer. Saying not to act fearful. Just give him space and go about your business. A lot of keepers on here are fairly new to having chickens. If they are not sure of a behavior. Give themselves and the animal some space. That is all I am saying. I am not an animal psychologist by no means. After a lifetime living on and operating a working farm/ranch with 40 plus years of raising chickens. I know a little of how to stay safe around livestock. While being in close proximity to them. Thanks for your insight.

There are many reasons why a rooster bows and slowly walks sideways according to Dr. Marino. I think in @madysaurus situation, it is #2 or #7:

1. For courtship
  2. A friendly greeting—“I’m happy to see you!”
  3. A show of dominance (which may lead to attack)
  4. A warning to back off
  5. To play
  6. To save face after submitting to a dominant rooster
  7. An expression of unbridled joy
My Alpha roo is not alpha anymore. My other roo has taken it. He was bowing his head at me last 2 days n now I know why. # 6 😥. He is the better Alpha. I feel so sad for him. He doesnt sleep at the top roost anymore, but most the hens followes him to the 2nd roost. Will they eventually abandon him for the alpha?

Back
Top Bottom