why is my rooster so mean HELP!

melissaowens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
andalusia alabama
i have a dominque rooster i got from my cousin when he was smaller, and he has gotten to where everytime i go into the pin he spurs me. he got my legs, stomach and back today, i talk to them before i walk into their pen, and he still gets me. why? how in the world do i brek him from this if its possible?

If you want to try behavior modification go ahead. But I don't think you could ever trust him. If it were me, I'd dust off the crock pot. He's just not worth it. He could hurt you or somebody else and medical treatment is expensive even if you do have good health insurance. Plus it's just plain aggravating to be attacked every time you go in the pen. Remember, there are other roosters out there.

It might take time for you to find a new home/eat him.
But for the time being, if you don't want to hit him physically.
Take the lid off your trash can and use it as a shield.
You can push him back with it. XD If it's a tin lid he would go BOOONK!

Before you assume your rooster is just mean, check out his imagination. He may just be very creative and imaginative.

I have found that when I wear certain colors and styles of clothing, my rooster goes berserk.

He's totally gentle and tame when I wear loose, khaki and green pants, but when I wear forest brown or anything red, it drives him mad and he turns into a hen protector. I truly believes he imagines me to be a dog, fox, or wolverine in my red and dark brown clothing.

But if I wear baggy khaki or raggedy denim, he is calm and not a bit interested in attacking me.

Also, I think your shoes matter a lot. My roo does not like my faux crocodile/snakeskin boots. If I wear my beat-up black loafers, he is just fine with those.

It may be that I give off a more relaxed air in my comfy clothes. They are much easier to walk in, and I don't worry about snagging them, etc., unlike in my dressier clothes. It is only when I am in my dressy clothes that he has pecked.

Also, my dress pants are straight-legged, not baggy. I think my roo doesn't like seeing my skinny legs. They look more predator-like than my legs do hidden in baggy pants.

I know this sounds wild, but I have documented this behavior for some time now, and I think I am right.

Worth a try, anyway.

Quote:

I have also found that if a wear my suede flesh-colored shoes my rooster will peck at that whereas he ignores my regular barn boots. Conversely, he acts more submissive and almost cuddly when I wear a certain red coat that I wore a lot after he'd been severely injured as a cockerel and needed one-on-one medical care.

It makes me sad when I read these discussion threads about roosters. Only two options are ever presented: dominate your rooster or kill him. There is a third option and that is to be neutral. Farmers have handled aggressive male animals successfully on their farms for years and it wasn't by dominating them. You give a male respect and distance and do not ever engage directly with him.

I have never heard anyone in the "dominate" camp say that their method works long-term. They have to be constantly on guard and prepared to repeat their own aggressive act every few weeks.

I have chosen to not enter into the pecking order of my flock. I'm not a chicken and they're not humans so neither of us needs to control the other. When my rooster was an adolescent I let him conduct his exploratory pecks (luckily it was winter and I was well-covered) without any reaction. He learned to see me as uninteresting as the walls of the coop. Absolutely no reaction when he pecked. Now we've passed that phase and he sees me as the source for food and water but NOT as a part of the flock so that he must establish where I am in the pecking order.

Think of how adult male large animals are handled in zoos and on farms. No human is ever trying to intimidate the males in order to make them submissive.

He wants you to make a big ole' pot of chicken and dumplings out of him.
big_smile.png

i love him to death, but he is really tempting me to make some good ole chicken and dumplings, thought i would try advice from my fellow bycers first before it comes to that

Rooster red has something on his page about how to stop a mean rooster from being mean. I smack my rooster if he pecks me and it will stop for a couple of weeks then he tries it again. If he spurs me I think he will get a boot in the tail feathers!

I am considering adding a certain rooster to my flock, and the general consensus of my chicken friends is.."If he is not a good rooster, ie vicious, raping hens, or other bad behaviour, into the stew pot".

Back
Top Bottom