why is my rooster so mean HELP!

Just get red of him, it might be hard at start, but you will get used to it, I used to have roostes in my flock, but I ate every single one ofthem, and my hens rally don't miss them.

We had a mean rooster once, he ended trying to kill the other chickens so he HAD to go. Just kick him when he comes after you. Don't wait for him to reach you, meet him in the middle and then just kick him. It doesn't have to be hard, it'll just shock him for a minute and he will leave you alone. HTH! (Hope This Helps)
wink.png

I've never been able to totally break a rooster from doing that. So do it and others dont. You can carry a small limb for something to defend yourself. he thinks you are in his territory messing with his hens. you have to show him who is boss.

My thought is : With any "stud" animal - when they start showing any signs of dominance if, you don't get it in-check fast - at the first sign of trouble, you are on borrowed time! They can and will hurt you! You need to make it understand You Trump him with no ifs, ands or buts! Then after, every time you enter "his territory" you need to make sure he "yields to you" by moving out of your way. If you can't do this, then you need to get rid of it. Good Luck and stay safe.
thumbsup.gif

It might take time for you to find a new home/eat him.
But for the time being, if you don't want to hit him physically.
Take the lid off your trash can and use it as a shield.
You can push him back with it. XD If it's a tin lid he would go BOOONK!

If you go to you tube and look up how to remove a roosters spurs, you will find a couple videos that will show you how to do it. It is virtually painless for the rooster and will only involve a couple drops of blood per spur. All you need is a soft touch and a pair of pliers. This sounds much worse than it actually is and should make the rooster more docile. If this doesn't work, I would consider one of the suggestions already posted. Good luck!!!

After round 10 with my Roo, off with his head. I tried to win the fights, but he would never stop. FYI, since he has been out of the little girls pen, 10 out of 11 of them are laying:) Will not ever keep another mean Roo. I have a game Roo in the big girls pen, he is the nicest gentleman out there, so I know they are not all mean. Just got 12 straight run EE's, so we shall see how many Roo's come out of that run!!! Here's hoping for pullets!!!

Before you assume your rooster is just mean, check out his imagination. He may just be very creative and imaginative.

I have found that when I wear certain colors and styles of clothing, my rooster goes berserk.

He's totally gentle and tame when I wear loose, khaki and green pants, but when I wear forest brown or anything red, it drives him mad and he turns into a hen protector. I truly believes he imagines me to be a dog, fox, or wolverine in my red and dark brown clothing.

But if I wear baggy khaki or raggedy denim, he is calm and not a bit interested in attacking me.

Also, I think your shoes matter a lot. My roo does not like my faux crocodile/snakeskin boots. If I wear my beat-up black loafers, he is just fine with those.

It may be that I give off a more relaxed air in my comfy clothes. They are much easier to walk in, and I don't worry about snagging them, etc., unlike in my dressier clothes. It is only when I am in my dressy clothes that he has pecked.

Also, my dress pants are straight-legged, not baggy. I think my roo doesn't like seeing my skinny legs. They look more predator-like than my legs do hidden in baggy pants.

I know this sounds wild, but I have documented this behavior for some time now, and I think I am right.

Worth a try, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom