Why is my silkie's crest shrinking?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenCharmer, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkie hen from Ideal has a teeny little crest that is just pathetic. She used to have a nice big one (for hatchery). She is about one year old, and hasn't ever molted. Will her crest grow in when/if she molts, or is this b/c she is hatchery stock, or what? PLS help.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Is she in a pen with a rooster? A rooster will do a number on a crest.

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Even other hens might peck at it. My polish's crest sometimes gets picked on.

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    If she has never molted, it might just be breaking off. It should grow back after she molts.

5. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the replies. My enormous Barred Rock rooster Oliver just loves the little silkie, so I can imagine what that would do to her. Would her crest grow back if she molts? I've seen people with bald silkies, do you guys have it with Polish and other crested breeds?

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Actually I have never had a roo pluck one of my hens even when mating. I don't know why, they just never seem to pull out feathers like other breeds. If anything I have had more hens pluck the roos crests, they do grow back after a molt though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by