Why is my white leghorn chicken not laying?

j0hnharris

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
Iraq
Why is my white leghorn chicken not laying?
Is it even a hen or a rooster? it was supposed to be a hen but I'm not sure

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-23_11-35-19.jpg
    photo_2021-02-23_11-35-19.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 74
  • photo_2021-02-23_11-26-33.jpg
    photo_2021-02-23_11-26-33.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 43
Well how old is this hen? She or he doesn’t have any spurs so I am going from that one thing telling me that she is not a rooster. Otherwise just glancing quickly I sort of thought at first she might have been a rooster. Her comb is very large and she looks sexually mature at this point so it shouldn’t be too long before she is laying. If she is over 22 weeks it should be any time now.

Well how old is this hen? She or he doesn’t have any spurs so I am going from that one thing telling me that she is not a rooster. Otherwise just glancing quickly I sort of thought at first she might have been a rooster. Her comb is very large and she looks sexually mature at this point so it shouldn’t be too long before she is laying. If she is over 22 weeks it should be any time now.
I dont know the exact age but I think she is older than 5 months maybe 5 1/2 somewhere around that

I dont know the exact age but I think she is older than 5 months maybe 5 1/2 somewhere around that
I think you will have eggs very soon if she is that old. I would be watching for interest from her in your nesting boxes. Do you have fake eggs in there for her? Or does she have other hens in your flock to look at for examples? My hens are all under a year so I placed some fake eggs in our nesting boxes to give them a hint and that helped. I didn’t want to hunt for eggs. Ya know?

I think you will have eggs very soon if she is that old. I would be watching for interest from her in your nesting boxes. Do you have fake eggs in there for her? Or does she have other hens in your flock to look at for examples? My hens are all under a year so I placed some fake eggs in our nesting boxes to give them a hint and that helped. I didn’t want to hunt for eggs. Ya know?
I hope so. Yes I have eggs in the nesting boxes
she is very interested in nesting boxes and is constantly checking places like she is looking for a place.
She even sits in those nesting boxes but without laying eggs.
And btw thank you

I hope so. Yes I have eggs in the nesting boxes
she is very interested in nesting boxes and is constantly checking places like she is looking for a place.
She even sits in those nesting boxes but without laying eggs.
And btw thank you
Oh wow! If she is doing that then she is getting close for sure and doing all the right things. You are very welcome btw!

She's a pullet but she's not a white leghorn, as you can plainly see. She is a leghorn, but a different color.
Why is she debeaked?
Do you have fake eggs in there for her?
Fake eggs in a nest box only serves to show that "this is a good place to lay eggs, not the ground". It doesn't cause a pullet to start laying.

She's a pullet but she's not a white leghorn, as you can plainly see. She is a leghorn, but a different color.
Why is she debeaked?

Fake eggs in a nest box only serves to show that "this is a good place to lay eggs, not the ground". It doesn't cause a pullet to start laying.
No one was stating that the fake eggs would cause the hen to start laying. I was talking about using the eggs as a tool to show the hen where to lay when she was ready.

Why is she debeaked?

She is a white leghorn I'm pretty sure of that but she looks like that cause she bathed in a muddy place. She was debeaked when I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom