Why is nobody laying?!

Have you priced higher protein feed? My Kalmbach flock maker 20% is only 50 cents more than their 17% Layer pellets.
I'm going to the feed store today, but my plan is to probably get Nutrena Country Feeds Egg Producer and I'll be making an oyster shell feeder that the chickens can get to and the goats can't (they share the pasture).

I'm going to the feed store today, but my plan is to probably get Nutrena Country Feeds Egg Producer and I'll be making an oyster shell feeder that the chickens can get to and the goats can't (they share the pasture).
I love Egg Producer, can't get it here. It is an old Agway product I used many years ago. Nutrena took over all their feeds several years ago.

Unfortunately I've ruled all of those options out. It seems to have been the number of roosters I have.
Yes they can cause a lot of drama, I didn't realize how unhappy my hens were until I got rid of the Roos I had. It was like night and day; then when I got a new Polish Roo I was terrified they would be unhappy again. But the Roo has turned out to be a gem, the girls love him, he isn't aggressive at all, in fact I see them grooming his beard, and the youngsters tug at his head feathers. He just stands there and takes it :)

I buy my feed from Mennonites that grind grains up and add a vitamin package only. From time to time the girls will slow down some but usually one egg a day until they get some age on them. I don't trust store bought feed at all !!
Adding dried field peas will help to up their protein.

Yes they can cause a lot of drama, I didn't realize how unhappy my hens were until I got rid of the Roos I had. It was like night and day; then when I got a new Polish Roo I was terrified they would be unhappy again. But the Roo has turned out to be a gem, the girls love him, he isn't aggressive at all, in fact I see them grooming his beard, and the youngsters tug at his head feathers. He just stands there and takes it :)
Yeah, when you get a good roo, never let him go!! I have one like that (an EE) who I'm keeping. I'm going to move him out for a bit to give them a break, but he's the gentlest, politest rooster. There have been times that a broody hen as decided she's done sleeping on the floor with her chicks (who are old enough to be on their own) and Arthur will go and sleep on the floor with them to keep them safe! 🥰

Not entirely sure what them reaching inside the hens have to do with it. I haven't had any dead or wounded chickens any time recently. Opossums are a slight possibility, but for various reasons I don't think they are the problem.
I have had possums kill hens while fishing for eggs. However if you aren't losing hens, that isn't your problem

I have wondered if any of the flocks are STILL not laying, now that we are into June.

When chickens quit laying during the short days of winter, I suspect day length before I go looking for other explanations. But by now any flock in the Northern Hemisphere should have enough natural daylight to be laying again, if it was just the usual winter stoppage.
I have 2 breeds in my young hens. the Barnevelders quit laying when it hit 80, they will resume in the fall, the Lavender Americaunas are laying an egg every other day, they are 2 years old, and my 5 year old Americauna is also laying an egg every day to every other day.

Back
Top Bottom