Why is nobody laying?!

Pics

ThePhoebeFive

My good opinion once lost, is lost forever.
12 Years
Apr 7, 2011
South Carolina
I have around 15-20 laying hens right now, but I'm getting an average of 3-5 eggs a day. I have literally no clue why they've started laying so badly. It used to be that I got an average of 8-12 eggs a day, but recently the production began dropping steadily to this point. I have a few 2yo EEs, a 2yo Brahma, a few 1yo Golden Comets, Black Australorps, and Cuckoo Marans, and a 1yo EE. I'm not surprised that the older EEs and the Brahma have slowed a bit, but the GCs, BAs, and CMs shouldn't be this bad off. Here is everything I can think of regarding food, habitat, and what I've tried to solve the problem.

Food: I feed them fermented 16% layer feed and then turn them out into our pasture for the day where they get grass and bugs all day. They get some treats, but pretty much only fruits, veggies, and the occasional mealworms. I'm extremely strict about carbs. They do get a couple small handfuls of corn to bribe them home at night. I have crushed eggshell on offer for them to get calcium.

Habitat: They have a nice coop with plenty of space and several nest boxes. Our pasture is about 1 acre and they share it with our goats. The pasture is mostly open, with only two pine trees and a tire playground for the goats. I have searched in the pine straw around the trees and looked inside every tire for hidden nests. The chickens cannot get to the goat sheds to lay in there.

What I've tried to solve the problem: I have increased their protein a bit with the mealworms. I used to be really bad about putting eggshell out, but I keep it on offer almost all the time (there are occasions where they go a few days without). And I have dewormed incase parasites were stealing the nutrients. Nobody is molting or regrowing feathers right now.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on and what I should do differently to solve this problem?!

EDIT: Feed is 16% protein.

Attachments

• emiel-maters-2prWrSjtIJg-unsplash (1).jpg
    emiel-maters-2prWrSjtIJg-unsplash (1).jpg
    383 KB · Views: 3,340
Last edited:
It can't be a secret nest unless they are leaving the fence, which I know they aren't. Egg eating is definitely an option. I'll make a dye bomb and put it in there to see if I can figure it out.
I missed where you said you searched the tires. Depending on the type of fence they could be leaving it. We have 2.3 acres (but they’re in the middle third. They frequently fly over the 6ft garden fence or the 4 fr chain to go to the front yard or the side woods

I missed where you said you searched the tires. Depending on the type of fence they could be leaving it. We have 2.3 acres (but they’re in the middle third. They frequently fly over the 6ft garden fence or the 4 fr chain to go to the front yard or the side woods
We've got 5ft fencing, but their wings are trimmed. We are home all day and I'm outside quite a bit, so I pretty much always know where they are.

I would consider 16% protein too low to keep them laying. Adding the fruits and vegetables lowers the overall protein even more.
Meal worms provide mainly fat.

Rather try some all flock (20%) and provide oyster shell on the side always available in a separate dish.
This may be a dumb question, but why would the feed specifically for laying hens not be the right amount of protein?

Back
Top Bottom