Why is nobody laying?!

Pics
I had a downturn in laying in the past few weeks that I attribute to several factors,
  1. Five broodies. That means 5 less eggs per day.
  2. Repecka getting out. I would not be surprised to stumble across some eggs somewhere at some point. She's repeatedly hidden nests in the coop "clutter". Repecka's Hidden Collection! 🤣 That's another missing egg.
  3. Too many cockerels in the flock. Girls are getting stressed and rooster-worn. Stress reduces laying.
  4. Black rat snakes. It's the season and there's very little I can do about it but to move snakes to the back of the property when I can catch them.
  5. The spring hormonal surge is over so some drop is natural.
There are feeds with higher levels of protein, but they seem hard to get a hold of and they're usually only 17-18%.

Do you have a Southern States in your area? I'm using https://southernstates.com/products...medicated-crumble?_pos=2&_sid=d93060a58&_ss=r which isn't perfect, because it's got bacitracin (which is perfectly safe, just not desirable to me), but it's 21% protein and less expensive than anything other than the cheapest 16% layer so I'm gritting my teeth and tolerating the antibiotic.

If I didn't have enough birds to be going through 50# a week I'd cough up a few more dollars a bag for unmedicated chick feed.

Any feed store *ought* to carry some kind of "All Flock" feed in the 18-22% protein range.

I know that before mass-produced chicken feed a lot of people free-ranged their birds and all they ever fed them was a little scratch to bring them home at night. I do think that would be a lot more simple, but I do wonder how many eggs those people were getting.

I found this an interesting read. 100 years ago, this book was aimed to help farmers get a then-profitable 100 eggs per hen per year -- from LEGHORNS. The worst bird I've had, a Brahma, did better than that.

Thread 'Poultry for the Farm and Home'

If 8 hens went broody last week and you've only just broken them, it'll probably be a little while before they start laying again. I'm guessing that's your biggest problem right now

*Gives my 5 broodies an accusatory look*

One of them is back to laying now. Not sure about the others because they all lay very similar eggs.

I had a downturn in laying in the past few weeks that I attribute to several factors,
  1. Five broodies. That means 5 less eggs per day.
  2. Repecka getting out. I would not be surprised to stumble across some eggs somewhere at some point. She's repeatedly hidden nests in the coop "clutter". Repecka's Hidden Collection! 🤣 That's another missing egg.
  3. Too many cockerels in the flock. Girls are getting stressed and rooster-worn. Stress reduces laying.
  4. Black rat snakes. It's the season and there's very little I can do about it but to move snakes to the back of the property when I can catch them.
  5. The spring hormonal surge is over so some drop is natural.

Do you have a Southern States in your area? I'm using https://southernstates.com/products/nutrena®-country-feeds®-sporting-bird-flight-developer-bmd-medicated-crumble?_pos=2&_sid=d93060a58&_ss=r which isn't perfect, because it's got bacitracin (which is perfectly safe, just not desirable to me), but it's 21% protein and less expensive than anything other than the cheapest 16% layer so I'm gritting my teeth and tolerating the antibiotic.

If I didn't have enough birds to be going through 50# a week I'd cough up a few more dollars a bag for unmedicated chick feed.

Any feed store *ought* to carry some kind of "All Flock" feed in the 18-22% protein range.

I found this an interesting read. 100 years ago, this book was aimed to help farmers get a then-profitable 100 eggs per hen per year -- from LEGHORNS. The worst bird I've had, a Brahma, did better than that.

Thread 'Poultry for the Farm and Home'

*Gives my 5 broodies an accusatory look*

One of them is back to laying now. Not sure about the others because they all lay very similar eggs.
Oh my gosh!!! You may have just told me the problem! Last year I hatched a bunch of eggs. All but two of them were boys. I had enough hens that I kept one extra rooster. Next batch of eggs was all boys. I sold all but one and am hanging on to him for a friend whose girls are too little. Um... duh!!! Three roosters in with 13 hens, some of whom are getting bald on their heads... Thank you for mentioning that! That could be the problem. I'm still going to increase the protein anyway, but that fits my problem exactly! 😅 I had forgotten too many roosters could affect them that way. 🤦‍♀️

I looked and all the nearest Southern States are almost 2 hours away. 😬 Next time I'm at my feed store I'll see what they might have in the way of gamebird or all flock. We are running a farm on a tight budget and the goats have cost waaaay too much money the last two years. Depending on the price difference, I may switch feeds. I'll probably calculate how much it costs to do layer feed plus cat feed and compare.

I'm glad to have some confirmation about what I said about how much chickens may have layed hundreds of years ago, because I was simply guessing. That is interesting!

Ha ha. Yeah, I had three go broody at once (but long enough ago that it isn't what affected my flock). I love broodies, but sadly for them I had already bought all the extra chicks I can have this year. One of them held a grudge against me for days after I locked her out of the nest boxes. 😆

Three roosters in with 13 hens, some of whom are getting bald on their heads... Thank you for mentioning that! That could be the problem.

Hormonal teenage cockerels stress out the entire flock.

As for feed, I'm not fussy. I'll feed the lowest cost feed I can get that's got at least 18% protein. Any brand, pellet or crumble.

As noted, I don't *like* having the bacitracin in it, but I cope with it for a $4 per bag price difference.

One reason that 16% layer is so cheap is that you're paying the price of feed for the weight of rocks -- the added calcium. Oystershell is dirt cheap in 50# bags.

I have seen it several times that when I had to buy and emergency bag of cheap layer because I couldn't get to the feed store and was at Walmart or because supply chain issues screwed up the deliveries at the feed store my flock finished the bag several days faster -- apparently eating more to compensate for the lower quality of the feed.

So I concluded that it doesn't really save me any money.

Do you have a Southern States in your area? I'm using https://southernstates.com/products...medicated-crumble?_pos=2&_sid=d93060a58&_ss=r which isn't perfect, because it's got bacitracin (which is perfectly safe, just not desirable to me), but it's 21% protein and less expensive than anything other than the cheapest 16% layer so I'm gritting my teeth and tolerating the antibiotic.
I'm surprised to see an antibiotic in a chicken feed these day....tho long ago they used to be regularly used to increase production in factory farms.

I'm surprised to see an antibiotic in a chicken feed these day....tho long ago they used to be regularly used to increase production in factory farms.

I was too.

This is a game bird feed, not specifically for chickens.

I'd rather not -- and if I had a smaller flock I might swallow the cost difference -- but I looked up what I could find and it seems to be perfectly safe for humans to eat eggs and meat from birds fed this antibiotic.

Depending on brand and availability, it can be as much as a $8-10 difference per bag.

Prices have gone up so much in the past couple years. :(

Back
Top Bottom