Why is nobody laying?!

Pics
This may be a dumb question, but why would the feed specifically for laying hens not be the right amount of protein?
My chickens are 6 years old and they have eaten 16% protein feed their entire life. They still lay eggs.

They do not get mealworms or treats or handfuls of corn.

I never thought to watch the ingredients list. I will start doing that!

Interesting, I didn't know that could happen. The only ones that might have had coccidiosis were the Marans, and I'm not even sure they did. Everybody was raised on medicated food.
Coccidiosis can cause damage to the intestines which can prevent the bird from absorbing all of the nutrition.

I'm just now reading through your thread and I'm just responding to stuff, that may have already been responded to, as I read it.

Okay, so they only get the feed first thing in the morning, but I'm feeding exactly the amount they can eat in the day, plus with being free-range they almost always have stuff in their crops (I've watched them for months).

I can't really lock them into the coop, but I am 100% sure there are no hidden nests. It can't be any other kind of animal. I collect the eggs every night and we are in and out all day with our two big dogs and never see any animals. And we can see the pasture from our house all day.
Just so you know, on average a full grown hen will eat about 3/4 cup worth of crumbled or pelleted feed per day.
To know if you're feeding a close to correct amount, you could measure 3/4 cup worth of feed times however many birds you have.

Earlier this year TSC brand made by Purina, had poor protein and chickens had laying issues all over the country. They had changed their formula. Can find articles about it. Don’t remember if other brands made by purina had issues.
This was debunked.
Not true.

It's really a shame that this idea that 16% isn't enough protein is everywhere you look on the internet.

Most of the people who claim this isn't enough protein free range and supplement extra protein anyway, through treats and such.

It is enough protein if fed exclusively.. it is certainly enough when used for free range chickens with access to bugs all day.

Truth is if you free range your birds you could get by with corn and free choice oyster shells.

I hope that someday we can move past the same repeated internet chanting, that is most always not based on fact.. or even personal experience.
I can assure you that 16% protein is enough for laying hens if they aren't over fed treats.

Just so you know, on average a full grown hen will eat about 3/4 cup worth of crumbled or pelleted feed per day.
To know if you're feeding a close to correct amount, you could measure 3/4 cup worth of feed times however many birds you have.
An extra detail that can be important: that measurement is for dry feed.

Making the feed wet and fermenting it will change how much space it takes up. So to check whether the hens are being fed the right amount, measure the feed when it is dry, before adding the water and fermenting it.

Back
Top Bottom