Why is nobody laying?!

Pics
Unfortunately, this is going on everywhere and if you check out instagram, everyone's been talking about it. It's the feed. Something's going on with the feed.

Some have solved this problem by switching them to goat feed or making their own feed.

Obviously it could be something else... But when so many people are having problems at the same time and it keeps tracing back to the feed, it's probably the feed.

It's probably not the feed, it's probably the weather. The ones that are laying are Easter Eggers, related to the Americauna. I keep Americaunas because they lay in the summer, and Australorps didn't, except their first year, same for barred rock and even production reds. They like cool weather and I don't have it in summer. My young, well relatively, I guess they are 2 now, Barnevelders won't lay when daytime temps are much over 80. But some weeks I get an egg a day from my Americaunas once it gets hot

It's probably not the feed, it's probably the weather. The ones that are laying are Easter Eggers, related to the Americauna. I keep Americaunas because they lay in the summer, and Australorps didn't, except their first year, same for barred rock and even production reds. They like cool weather and I don't have it in summer. My young, well relatively, I guess they are 2 now, Barnevelders won't lay when daytime temps are much over 80. But some weeks I get an egg a day from my Americaunas once it gets hot
I don't know that it could be the weather. I have never had this problem before. The weather hasn't really been any different this year except for a cold snap a couple weeks ago.

Unfortunately, this is going on everywhere and if you check out instagram, everyone's been talking about it. It's the feed. Something's going on with the feed.

Some have solved this problem by switching them to goat feed or making their own feed.

Obviously it could be something else... But when so many people are having problems at the same time and it keeps tracing back to the feed, it's probably the feed.
Yeah, I've heard a lot about issues with the feed. A couple years ago I wouldn't have believed you if you said that, but I do think it's an issue.

This was beat to death for weeks, it's been debunked for quite some time now.

I have wondered if any of the flocks are STILL not laying, now that we are into June.

When chickens quit laying during the short days of winter, I suspect day length before I go looking for other explanations. But by now any flock in the Northern Hemisphere should have enough natural daylight to be laying again, if it was just the usual winter stoppage.

I have wondered if any of the flocks are STILL not laying, now that we are into June.

When chickens quit laying during the short days of winter, I suspect day length before I go looking for other explanations. But by now any flock in the Northern Hemisphere should have enough natural daylight to be laying again, if it was just the usual winter stoppage.

Good point.

Though we're probably getting past the first spring egg surge and settling down a little.

I'm getting 8-10 eggs a day instead of a dozen eggs a day -- and I'm blaming the broodies! ;)

Back
Top Bottom