Why is nobody laying?!

Pics
your hens are one year old? I still suspect a possum, they are sneaky
Around a year. A few are 2, but not enough to have made this drastic a drop. Possums are a slight possibility, but I doubt it for various reason. At this point the only likely option is rooster stress. If getting rid of roosters and upping the protein does not solve the problem, I'll put out deer cams to see if I can catch anybody stealing eggs.

opossums love eggs. If they can't get eggs they will attempt to follow the egg path into the hen, which is fatal to the hen. See if you can find eggshells in a good possum hiding place. I trap and relocate my possums. Bait the live trap with grapes, they love grapes.
Not entirely sure what them reaching inside the hens have to do with it. I haven't had any dead or wounded chickens any time recently. Opossums are a slight possibility, but for various reasons I don't think they are the problem.

I have around 15-20 laying hens right now, but I'm getting an average of 3-5 eggs a day. I have literally no clue why they've started laying so badly. It used to be that I got an average of 8-12 eggs a day, but recently the production began dropping steadily to this point. I have a few 2yo EEs, a 2yo Brahma, a few 1yo Golden Comets, Black Australorps, and Cuckoo Marans, and a 1yo EE. I'm not surprised that the older EEs and the Brahma have slowed a bit, but the GCs, BAs, and CMs shouldn't be this bad off. Here is everything I can think of regarding food, habitat, and what I've tried to solve the problem.

Food: I feed them fermented 16% layer feed and then turn them out into our pasture for the day where they get grass and bugs all day. They get some treats, but pretty much only fruits, veggies, and the occasional mealworms. I'm extremely strict about carbs. They do get a couple small handfuls of corn to bribe them home at night. I have crushed eggshell on offer for them to get calcium.

Habitat: They have a nice coop with plenty of space and several nest boxes. Our pasture is about 1 acre and they share it with our goats. The pasture is mostly open, with only two pine trees and a tire playground for the goats. I have searched in the pine straw around the trees and looked inside every tire for hidden nests. The chickens cannot get to the goat sheds to lay in there.

What I've tried to solve the problem: I have increased their protein a bit with the mealworms. I used to be really bad about putting eggshell out, but I keep it on offer almost all the time (there are occasions where they go a few days without). And I have dewormed incase parasites were stealing the nutrients. Nobody is molting or regrowing feathers right now.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on and what I should do differently to solve this problem?!

EDIT: Feed is 16% protein.
Try adding a probiotic mix (Egg Boost) to their water and give them yogurt with probiotics, this has worked well for my girls in the past, esp in the spring when the days are not quite long enough and its been cloudy.

I have around 15-20 laying hens right now, but I'm getting an average of 3-5 eggs a day. I have literally no clue why they've started laying so badly. It used to be that I got an average of 8-12 eggs a day, but recently the production began dropping steadily to this point. I have a few 2yo EEs, a 2yo Brahma, a few 1yo Golden Comets, Black Australorps, and Cuckoo Marans, and a 1yo EE. I'm not surprised that the older EEs and the Brahma have slowed a bit, but the GCs, BAs, and CMs shouldn't be this bad off. Here is everything I can think of regarding food, habitat, and what I've tried to solve the problem.

Food: I feed them fermented 16% layer feed and then turn them out into our pasture for the day where they get grass and bugs all day. They get some treats, but pretty much only fruits, veggies, and the occasional mealworms. I'm extremely strict about carbs. They do get a couple small handfuls of corn to bribe them home at night. I have crushed eggshell on offer for them to get calcium.

Habitat: They have a nice coop with plenty of space and several nest boxes. Our pasture is about 1 acre and they share it with our goats. The pasture is mostly open, with only two pine trees and a tire playground for the goats. I have searched in the pine straw around the trees and looked inside every tire for hidden nests. The chickens cannot get to the goat sheds to lay in there.

What I've tried to solve the problem: I have increased their protein a bit with the mealworms. I used to be really bad about putting eggshell out, but I keep it on offer almost all the tegiime (there are occasions where they go a few days without). And I have dewormed incase parasites were stealing the nutrients. Nobody is molting or regrowing feathers right now.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on and what I should do differently to solve this problem?!

I don't know where you live, but sometimes, hot weather or rainy weather can affect egg production. I remember this when I was buying eggs from a nursery/farm. Also, could it be that the hens are beginning to molt? I have some older girls and one of them laid eggs for about 3 months last year, then started laying again in January. She stopped laying and I notice she is molting right now. Younger hens usually go through their molt in the fall, so it might be kind of early for that to happen to them.
There also has been some concern on chicken feed from Tractor Supply that seems to have made a lot of hens go without laying. I don't know a whole lot of details on that, but a lot of people were complaining. I get my feed from Tractor Supply, but it is not the brand in question (I don't think). I use Dumor brand most of the time. I also give mine lots of fruit and veggies, as well as wheat berries and sunflower seeds. I give them mealworms once or twice a week.

What I've tried to solve the problem: I have increased their protein a bit with the mealworms. I used to be really bad about putting eggshell out, but I keep it on offer almost all the time (there are occasions where they go a few days without). And I have dewormed incase parasites were stealing the nutrients. Nobody is molting or regrowing feathers right now.

Sounds to me like u have a smake getting eggs. Get a metal minnow trap and put it in the coop with an egg in it(real or fake). If u have a snake eating your eggs you have a hood chance of catching it in that minnow trap and it cannot escape it once in there.

Sounds to me like u have a smake getting eggs. Get a metal minnow trap and put it in the coop with an egg in it(real or fake). If u have a snake eating your eggs you have a hood chance of catching it in that minnow trap and it cannot escape it once in there.

Has anyone added red pepper to the feed?
I haven't tried that yet, but a friend told me it would help.
I don't know where you live, but sometimes, hot weather or rainy weather can affect egg production. I remember this when I was buying eggs from a nursery/farm. Also, could it be that the hens are beginning to molt? I have some older girls and one of them laid eggs for about 3 months last year, then started laying again in January. She stopped laying and I notice she is molting right now. Younger hens usually go through their molt in the fall, so it might be kind of early for that to happen to them.
There also has been some concern on chicken feed from Tractor Supply that seems to have made a lot of hens go without laying. I don't know a whole lot of details on that, but a lot of people were complaining. I get my feed from Tractor Supply, but it is not the brand in question (I don't think). I use Dumor brand most of the time. I also give mine lots of fruit and veggies, as well as wheat berries and sunflower seeds. I give them mealworms once or twice a week.
I doubt it's the weather. The weather really hasn't been much different than it usually is and I don't have this problem every year. They aren't molting, but from the stress of so many roosters they are missing feathers. That could be contributing to the problem.

I haven't tried that yet, but a friend told me it would help.

I doubt it's the weather. The weather really hasn't been much different than it usually is and I don't have this problem every year. They aren't molting, but from the stress of so many roosters they are missing feathers. That could be contributing to the problem.

I think you've probably diagnosed it.

Stress is known to reduce laying.

Interesting. I feed my chickens a combination of corn, wild bird seed, dog food and scraps. I have far more eggs than I know what to do with, and I've never considered the protein content of their food

Maybe I just have more bugs on my land. Perhaps you could try improving the biodiversity of your pasture

Back
Top Bottom