Why is one chick sooooo much smaller?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickymomma68, Jul 18, 2011.

1. chickymomma68

chickymomma68 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Gahanna,OH
    I have 5 week old chicks one is itty bitty. She is feathering a little slower and is smaller by at least half. She had bloody stools so medicated them all with CORID. It seems to have cleared up. She eats with everyone else and her crop empties, a little slower but it empties. Do I just wait it out and hope she is o.k. or should I try to suppliment with something? My first batch of chicks so really not sure what to do.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Are they all the same breed/from the same hatch? As long is she's eating and drinking, and doesn't appear lethargic, I'd let her grow at her own pace. She may catch up to the others.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
  4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Some chicks are just smaller. Bitsey is the little blackish chick, and it is three weeks, and three days older than the white chick. They are both Sebright/Duckwing Banty mix.I think Bitsey maybe a dwarf . [​IMG][/img]

5. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Oh my, they are cute!

I'm wondering the same thing about my Speckled Sussex. She's smaller than the rest, still downy in many places (from head to tail on the back, a stripe on the belly, part of the wings, head, etc...), next to no tail but a larger comb than everyone else. I'll wait it out, but if she is a he then I guess we'll find out what a dual breed tastes like. [​IMG] I'd fell terrible if Susie were friendly but she/he really isn't. I'd say that out of my 5, she's the one I'm least able to interact with, other than when she occasionally tries to pull my pinky finger off. Guess it looks like a worm to her. [​IMG]

6. chickymomma68

chickymomma68 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Gahanna,OH
    Can't figure out how to put a picture on to show you. But all from same breeder all Doms and no more a a day or 2 apart.

7. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    did they come to you already hatcehd? or did you hatch them?

I have 11 chicks. they were all from a hen who strayed into my yard and Decided to move in. and have her brood under my porch (now turn chicken coop)

but 10 of her chicks hatched sometime Friday, the 8th.. I discoverd them the 9th. ( I know they were not there any sooner as I was on that side of the hosue n by that porch alot the days before)

but after i discoverd her nest.. I found 2 unhatched eggs still in the nest. and left them a few extra days.. and on monday the 11th one of the eggs hatched. and he/she's much smaller. then the rest. so it's the noticable one of the group. as it's smaller. and after 1 week staying just as small.. (the late hatcher is 1 week old today)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by