Why is one duckling a different color?

Klong88

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Hello! Long time lurker here and finally got an account! I have Mallards and mama Erma hatched 9 ducklings, weird thing is one is totally black. Daddy Max has been the only other duck on our property and was just wondering if the black was a recessive trait or what?! I mean its the cutest little thing but just wondering how it turned out so different :)

Thanks!!

Max may need to get a lawyer!

I think Erma had a visitor.
tongue.png
:yuckyuck

No it wouldn't have to be on all babies, each baby has it's own specific form of DNA , and that specific duckling got two recessive allels so :D also intresting fact about ducks the female carries the extra chromosome that decides gender

Last edited:
Nope, never seen that from a mallard. I've seen lighter/darker colored ones if the mama was blond or really deep brown, but they always have the telltale yellow and black face stripes. It's doubtful that came from a random mutation since mallards are a wild species thus breed VERY true. I'm gonna hazard a guess and suppose that you may have a mixed breed duck that carried a recessive trait? Either that or there was some kinda interloper. XD

Do you have a photo?

Last edited:

Here are the parents and ducklings. The black one is the closest to Max, was hard to get a good picture without Erma throwing a fit, lol.

Although...I would like to throw out there that many of the breeds such as the WH and Khaki Campbell are mallard-derived. So, random mutations happen, and can be continued through selective breeding.

Back
Top Bottom