Why is our 4 month old Ducks not eating the chicken feed I bought them

ChickenObsession

Songster
Jul 5, 2018
We have two ducks one Peking and one Cayuga duck both females. They are not eating the chicken food that we bought them they won't eat Purina flock raiser crumbles or Lane pellets well they were eating a little bit of laying pellets but I heard that they are too young to eat Lane pellets because it's too much calcium for them and they are not laying eggs yet we were not eating a lot but they are not eating the other food I bought them at all flock Raiser so I'm worried that they're getting malnourished what should I do is there a good duck food out there that I should buy them that you think they will eat the Cayuga duck eat eggs but the Peking duck will only eat bugs

So your ducks won't eat any food? Are they acting sick in any other way? Maybe they are being picky, but maybe there is some other health problem causing loss of appetite. Do they get to forage for food? Are they in a field? Are they on a pond? Is it possible they are finding enough food that they don't need to eat much duck/chicken feed? Do you give them other things as treats? Is is possible they are filling up on treats and not wanting to eat their boring pellets?

So your ducks won't eat any food? Are they acting sick in any other way? Maybe they are being picky, but maybe there is some other health problem causing loss of appetite. Do they get to forage for food? Are they in a field? Are they on a pond? Is it possible they are finding enough food that they don't need to eat much duck/chicken feed? Do you give them other things as treats? Is is possible they are filling up on treats and not wanting to eat their boring pellets?
No they do not act sick at all they love to play running around flapping their wings foraging eating earthworms and grubs a lot everyday running around with the chickens when I feed the chickens they refuse to eat their food yes I have changed their food quite a bit recently I went from baby chick feed to Lane pellets and then found out that lane pellets was not good for them because it had too much calcium then I went back to baby chick feed but another kind which was pereena flock raiser and then they don't want anything now I'm not pellets or baby chick feed their just refusing to eat any of the feed but when I give them earth worms and grubs they love that but they've been very very happy but they follow me around a lot quacking acting very persistent like they want something and they're not happy that way like they want something that I'm not giving them

I use waterfowl food that is floating pellets if you can find that maybe try putting some pellets in with water and see if maybe that would work or maybe try feeding them in the morning before you let them out to forage

Back
Top Bottom