Why is our cat being a jerk?

Sounds like your cat is mad about something. You will have to figure out what has changed, at least in his eyes, that has made him mad. Cats act out, much like little kids when they are angry or frusterated, beings they cna't talk.

1st of all, I would take the cat to the vet to rule out any medical problems, like kidney stones etc.

2nd of all, what type of litter are you using, and what are you using to clean the litterbox. Most cats prefer fine litter, that isnt scented. Also, dont use bleach to clean the litterbox, it mixes with the pee, and can cause deadly fumes.

3rd, the cat wont use the litterbox if it is dirty.

So, what type of litter are you using, and what are you cleaning the box with?

OK I will try to answer all these questions LOL

The cat's litterbox is in our bathroom, which is in his dog free area. He has our bedroom and the bathroom during the day, and the run of the house at night when the dogs are asleep in their area. The one thing that makes me think his messing in the house is not a medical issue is that he poops outside the box too. I clean his box whenever I see it is dirty. He seems to have a fixation with it. Before he started going elsewhere, he would dig and dig and dig at it. He'd go back and dig some more after he'd gone, and steal socks, underwear or any other small items and dig those into the litter too. It's jumbo sized and about 4" deep in the gravel kind of litter. I clean it with Nature's Miracle when I change the litter out. We've washed everything that he's peed on (my husband's clothes), but he will pee on any of his laundry he can find. His laundry is only a few feet from the box, the other side of the bathroom door. He is neutered.

His scratching post is in our bedroom, it is a carpet one. He used to be very good about using it but not so much anymore.

He can't go outside because he has no canine teeth and is longhaired. He had abscesses before we got him, and hadhis teeth removed, another thing the shelter failed to mention. We wanted him as an indoor mouser as well as a pet. Our dogs are large, ranging from 50-90lbs. They like cats, but one in particular loves cats. She wants to groom them and play with them, and found out the hard way this cat did not feel the same way when he scratched her on her rattlesnake-bitten face
sad.png

He came from a military family that had to move overseas, via the shelter. The shelter was not the kind with individual pens, all the cats had the run of a converted house (30+ cats). He'd been there a year. Nearly all of the cats there were very overweight (20lbs+), but he was fairly skinny. There were some cats (the really really fat ones) that guarded the food bowls. He has issues with covering his food bowl with stolen items too.

He's generally friendly but he does have an attitude. If you brush past him or nudge him he will turn and hiss and spit. We have a barn cat who we moved inside this evening as she is pregnant. Completely off topic, can a domestic cat be bred by a bobcat? We have the only domestic cats on nearly 300,000 acres. We'll get her spayed as soon as she has her kittens. He likes her, and before we brought her inside he would sit on the doorstep with her.

I'm thinking jjthink might have hit the nail on the head, with him being on his best behaviour to begin with and now feeling comfortable enough to be a pest.

Great overview Cara!

A couple things Warren Eckstein would likely recommend (and they need not be permanent once things calm down, assuming they do), and assuming medical causes are not at issue:

A few litter boxes scattered about in his area, kept - as you already do - cleared of pee/poop. Given all the changes he's had in his life (going from a home to a shelter and now into a new home), he may have decided he needs to mark territory by going to the bathroom in places other than the box.

A few bowls of food scattered in his area (tho not near litter boxes) - sorry, I know this gets complicated! - sounds like he may have had issues with the shelter kitties nudging him out of the way when he tried to eat, hence skinny and the reaction when he's brushed up against. If he sees that food is not scarce and is at his beck and call anytime he wants it, he may calm down on that point.

Try offering him treats by hand (tartar control treats for example).

If you can, pick up Rescue Remedy from the health food store or from a good pharmacy. Put a couple drops in his water bowl daily for awhile. Known to have a calming effect. There may be a homepathic more perfect for his situation but a holistic vet would better know which one. In the meantime, RR won't hurt and hopefully will help. A little goes a long way so a small bottle will last quite some time.

He may have had bad experiences with dogs before and might not be sure he can trust yours.

If you're able, hang out with him one on one for a period each day, quietly reading a book, doing bills, or whatever. I wouldn't suggest your husband do the same until or unless he can project a different feeling than wanting him gone - the cat will be able to tell if it's not wanted and likely has already picked up on this vibe. On the other hand, if your hubby is just frustrated (understandably) but really would like it to work and is willing to work with the kitty then one on one quiet time with praise for the cat will go a long way.

Reward/praise good behavior. Ignore "bad" behavior.

With time, good memories replace bad and their personalities usually change.

While all this is going on, put out feelers for a fantastic no-dog home, just in case you end up deciding that's what would be best. I've found it so very difficult to find good forever homes and it takes me quite some time - I check references and interview and watch the people spend time with my rescues - in my home - and I do home visits to the prospective home. I have met a lot of crazy people who at first seemed sane, so I've become pretty militant about where I send my rescues to live. Best if it's someone you know well or a friend of someone you know well.

I almost gave a rescue kitty to a man who seemed the model citizen - on paper the perfect specimen, Brilliant with the cat, asked me all the right questions. Then I did a home visit and the guy was fallen down drunk on his front lawn screaming at me to "dump the cat in the house". I most certainly did not give him the cat. When I rescued my Samantha she was very pregnant. I almost adopted out 2 of her kittens to a woman who was incredibly loving with them. During one of her multiple visits to my house so I could watch her interact with them, and thrilled that I found such a great home with her, I casually asked where the cats would be kept, mostly curious about indoors, outdoors, that sort of thing. She said in a spooky voice - "why, in the basement in the dark of course, where all black cats should be kept". So much for that adoption. No way was I going to condemn those joyful babies to possibly 20 years in the dark.

Another time I adopted out 2 roos that a neighbor dumped on me without warning - my BJ roo was ticked off big time so I couldn't keep them. The new people came highly recommended - their coop and run was chicken heaven on earth. What I did not uncover was that the guy had a mental problem and would go into phases of completely ignoring the critters in his care - he failed to shut the coop (and likewise failed to provide food and water) and a dozen got taken by a predator one night soon after the roos went to live there. Carnage everywhere. The roos and one remaining hen were still alive and I took them and began again the search for homes till I found one that a background check showed to be good. It's so darn hard and shelters do not do nearly as thorough a job screening, usually, and sadly. Sorry to digress - a source of great angst to me - finding good homes. Too many crazy or irresponsible people out there makes it quite the project.

Your cats life since his family left him has been difficult. They should have found him a great home instead of dumping him in a shelter so I suspect his home with them wasn't so great to begin with. My guess is that he's had a very uncertain, very unsettled life for some time. He isn't sure he can trust anything to last and so he's stressed, defensive - "I'm going to break up with you before you break up with me" - on at least some level he's scared so he's acting tough, brave.

When I first got Samanatha off the streets of Trenton, I would approach her and she would "put up her dukes" ready to strike (I think she had been beaten) - wrapped my arms around her while this was happening and just gently hugged her through it (sporting scratches and bites for awhile!) . In time she stopped protecting her face this way and now we kiss noses. I can now kiss her face with no fear whatsoever. Her fear of getting hurt and her fear of abandonment are finally gone I think. It did take a long time....but I promised her she would never be dumped again no matter what she did. If you and your husband can both take this position - you shouldn't have to do it all by your lonesome - then you will likely make great progress with the kitty in time. If your hubby is not so inclined, best to work like the dickens to find folks who will provide a forever home no matter how long it takes to make the cat feel safe and secure. I'll mean another change for him but hopefully the last one.

Sending good wishes for you and Mr. Cat (what is his name?). You've done so many very smart things already - giving the cat his own dog-free space, for example. Incidentally, when I first got Samantha she used to steal stuff too - socks etc. - including taking a bunch of stuff out the cat door and making a pile in the backyard! (this is a reason to quickly put underwear away when it come sout of the laundry). It was pretty funny actually. She does this much less now, usually only when I'm gone for too many hours - she'll take washcloths from upstairs and haul them downstairs to the living room! .

JJ

Last edited:
I like cats. No, really I do. I have several. But no cat deserves all this hand-wringing.

I do like the kitty sedative in the water. Nice idea.
But I'd draw the line at cat-psychology, costly vists to the vet, multiple cat boxes, food dishes, Kitty Re-Homing challenges and just and give him a new home - out in the barn.

He can cope with his aggression, "act out" to his hearts content and deal with the New Social Order out there.
He might actually catch a mouse or two and so do something to earn his keep, in the bargain.

To the hinterlands with him.

For those considering making a cat a barn cat, it is important that the cat be caged (in a large dog carrier) for at least 2 weeks (most cat rescue agencies recommend 3-4 weeks) in the barn, with ample food and water, and litter box. Otherwise they will likely just panic and run and be lost and homeless. It's not as simple as just putting them out there. Often they will be very angry for the caged period of time (which makes changing the litter and food and water great fun) but it's necessary for them to imprint on the new location. If this step is skipped, then in all likelihood the cat will be lost. Some cats are happier as well fed barn cats (continue to provide food and water) than as house cats but this introductory effort is important to ensure success.

elderoo, I have to respectfully disagree that no cat deserves the effort to finally make it feel safe when it's had a rough life. But we can leave it at that
smile.png

JJ

Quote:
As the OP stated before this is a long haired cat that has had multiple teeth pulled. Doesn't seem like outside would be the safest place for him.

If she's up for it these issues probably have a basis that could be worked through if not a suitable home should be found that can accomidate his special needs better. Dumping an animal outside IMO is the easy way out.

ETA: Wow that has a witchy tone. Not intended:D

Last edited:
I have two house cats, Arlo & Everette..complete opposites. Neither are lovey dovey let me hold you sit on my lap cats. Arlo does care for more attention that Everette.

Everette or a-hole kitty as he gets called alot is just a butt. He will not use a dirty litter box at all. He wont even cover his poop when he is done. Arlo could care less, he digs and digs and digs some more, then its time to cover, and cover and cover. He will even get in and cover the other cats poop.
roll.png

Cats just have odd personalities. BB one of my barn cats can be all lovey and sweet. Then in a second she will bite at your hand or scratch and take off. There are times you try and pick her up and she scoots off. Other times, its hold me, hold me, hold me.

My suggestions are, that is just your cats personality. I would not take the scratching up furniture tho. Get him several things to scratch on/play with. Entice with cat nip or cat mint. (it does grow wild and is really a weed) I pick mine a stem and watch em go nuts in the house
big_smile.png

Another suggestion, a second litter box. Cats are cats and I love them dearly. I read this once and there is alot of truth behind it.

"Dogs are here to serve us, Cats..well we are here to serve them"

Good luck with your bratt, pest and all over sweetie that he can be

Dumping an animal outside IMO is the easy way out.

Indeed so. The more complex and fussy an issue is made, the more I seek a simple result.

Enough energy has been expended on the ungrateful beast. God knows what's next.

He can go outside now.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom