Why is our cat being a jerk?

I want to say that I have a cat (neutered)I have had for several years, I think 3? And anyway, one day, he started to attack the one large dog we have. Not the small one, just the large. Anyway, this went on for days and was pretty violent to say the least, he would come across the house looking for the dog, who was terrified by the way.
It turned out, that the dog, was playing outside one morning, and went after a outside cat (not sure on male or female but betting male) anyway, the dog got sprayed or something by the cat. We didnt know it, couldnt smell anything, but the cat knew it.
Once we gave the dog a bath, the whole trouble stopped.

You might want to think about getting one of those mats they sell that zap the animal when stepped on and place it in the laundry basket. A few corrections and the cat will go elsewhere. I started using them for a old male cat with the same problem. Only thing that worked, now, one of the two mats I have doesnt even work anymore, and I also have a fake mat. None are turned on and they still stay away. Just an idea, but it worked for me.

Cyanne's advice is very good. Sadly some pets have issues--cats are very social creatures, and if you don't have other cats as part of your established household "colony," they see YOU as their colony. So it messes with them when their "colony" has abandoned them. They aren't people, I'm just saying, they have their own behaviors and that's what you sign up for when you decide to keep them as your pet. I would follow cyanne's advice, confine him to a smaller area until he uses the litterbox more consistently, and also get the Feliway plug-in, and give the boy some time and patience.

Completely off topic, can a domestic cat be bred by a bobcat? We have the only domestic cats on nearly 300,000 acres. We'll get her spayed as soon as she has her kittens. He likes her, and before we brought her inside he would sit on the doorstep with her.

OOhhh I would want one!!

Oh yea I wanted to add, try deworming...

Last edited:
He's been in the bathroom for 2 days now with his food, water, scratching post and litterbox... and he's using the bath instead now
roll.png

there is something about that litter box he has decided he doesnt like.

Interesting

Maybe you could buy one of those cat things that goes on the toilet seat and teach him how to potty there.

Our cat will only drink out of the toilet, so he probably wouldn't go there.

Are you using a covered cat box? My old cat gets claustrophobic so won't use a covered one, maybe try a different type of box.

make sure he doesnt have a urinary tract infection

make sure he/she is spayed or neutered

and i put an extra litter box in a seperate place

i had a trouble cat i got from my school as a laboratory/pound animal

he was soo bad..
used the potty everywhere in the wrong places, hated the other cats (i have three inside and four outside) and was scared of my dogs

he had a urinary tract infection. (he was already neuterd).. once that cleared up, and he became familiar with all of us. .. he is a perfect cat!

Back
Top Bottom