1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is our eggs not totally forming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken Charlotte, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    hello we have 9 laying chickens since 3 got eaten by a dog up the road and we just bought another.
    I was wondering why our egg yolks break every time we crack them we dont crack them high we crack the very close to the bowl or what ever we are using. Any ideas? And also some are not even forming the shells we feed them a load full![​IMG]

Thanks Charlotte:D

2. Shoebob

Shoebob Out Of The Brooder

Include oyster shells in the feed. This will help the toughness of the shell. Had a few soft eggs before I got smart.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Young hens can throw "rubber eggs" every now & then. Its OK. They will grow out of it.

I had one lay these for 2 weeks straight!

As for the yolks - it may just be the time of year. When they get out & about they get a more varied diet & it fortifies the yolk. Try giving more table scraps & varied treats.

We give all of our old corn, lettace, beans anything but meat really. They love it all!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I don't know if it's winter where you are, but when eggs freeze the yolks will break more easily. That's happening to me now [​IMG] I guess it doesn't matter to me - I eat em scrambled [​IMG]

6. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Its summer here but its sunny and hot today its has for 3 days but appart from that there was rain and it was flooding
    and luckly my chickens did not get washed away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by