why is rooster crowing in the dark?

They can crow at any old time. It's irritating but normal. If you have the room, you might want to move your coop further away from the house.m
I like the way a rooster crowing sounds, however I am not allowed to own one in New Orleans. Not that this law is obeyed by many people here. But since Hurricane Katrina we have new people in the city that will report rooster owners. I have been reported once, years ago for a large size fowl rooster (you get 15 days to re-home). I don't want to be reported again, but this Bantam cockerel was saved from a major hurricane (no one claimed him and he and his bantam mom were in harms way) so I took them in 2 days before the hurricane hit. I have fallen in love with them both and am hoping to keep them. Before Hurricane Katrina most people had chickens and ducks in their yards. No one complained about the noise or crowing.
One area of the city fought back when the newbies starting complaining about the neighborhood Peacock and got their neighborhood zoned as a bird sanctuary so Mr. Peacock could stay.

Most people liked him, we asked the neighbors in our area if they would be okay with him. Even told them to come talk to us if it got to be too much. Cowards, no one said a word, someone just reported us 4 or so years after we got him.
Probably some newbie in the neighborhood.

Every rooster in out neighborhood starts crowing about 2:00 AM. It lasts for a few minutes then subsides again. I don't know who starts it, but if one crows then every rooster within hearing distance has to respond. Then every rooster within hearing distance of that one has to respond. I imagine the crowing must move in waves aross the isand. It's the Crowing Wave Theory.

Last edited:
So I was up at 4:20 am. Sunrise is til later. My silky rooster was in the coop, in the dark crowing? Is this normall behavior? There is no light in there either.
Here are your answers in a nutshell: Roosters and chickens, have better vision than us, and they can see the very slightest ray of light, and as soon as they see that, they crow.

Attachments

• 7EE36BD1-B07A-433F-87EF-A01FA7D914D7.jpeg
    7EE36BD1-B07A-433F-87EF-A01FA7D914D7.jpeg
    754.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 4BAEFE42-B649-4527-9925-BFA04ADA3D75.jpeg
    4BAEFE42-B649-4527-9925-BFA04ADA3D75.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom