Why is she dead, I'm heartbroken

feather2

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
north haven, ct
My Miliie a beautiful wheaten maran died today.....no warning, nothing........just dead. She was one of my three pet chickens. The two others are fine. She just died and she was only one year, two months old. No predator.. nothing just died. Why??? I'm sitting here crying.....I actually go to the grocery and buy them greens and vegetables every other day. I feed them the best food you all recommend. i provided the best predator proof housing possible. I played with them. i am with them at least 10 times a day. My dh thinks i am obsessed, but she died...never even looked sick,never even sluggish and was always eating and acting okay. I can barely stand this. What happened? I know you won't be able to help me, but has this ever happened to you before and just how can this happen as I don't think I can take it again. My husband says - get another, but I can't stand the pain, the not knowing -if this could happen again....could it be something that could happen to Amble and Easter too.

I'm so sorry
sad.png
I have know idea. did you check her to make sure it was not a predator, Weasels I got told don't leave a big mess. I have a question was there any feathers laying around?

have you checked the list of toxic things that chickens can get into? I remember learning on here that the stems of tomato plants are toxic to them.
I once put the feeder outside the coop, and some of the spilled crumble developed some mold on it which is also toxic.
Just a few things i know of off the top of my head......but try to search for the list of no-no's for them and try to figure out if she are something she shouldn't have.
Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

ETA: this is the first thing i found

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxic1.html
http://www.cbif.gc.ca/pls/pp/ppack.list?p_sci=comm&p_type=all&p_x=px

Last edited:
I am so sorry -- certainly you are devastated (and when your husband dies just go get another, chickens, however, are serious business -- I am being snotty, sorry, but that was a very insensitive, unkind thing for him to say.) Have you checked them for mites or lice? Either of these can be deadly with no warning. One of the best ways to check is to get your chickens at night and shine a flashlight around the base of their feathers at the legs and their vents. Lice will have laid tiny eggs in these areas.

Something else -- I've recently learned that treats or any sort, fruits, veggies, worms, tuna, whatever, should not constitute more than 10% of their diet, so you might want to evaluate their nutritional needs versus what they are getting.

My heart breaks for you -- I get very attached to animals too -- they become so dear to us that it is like they become part of our DNA.

Jenny

Thank you all. Feathersnuggle - thank you for the link made me feel better - somehow I know I did everything possible for her, especially not even knowing she was sick. I know she was not exposed to anything toxic, as she would only have snacks that we eat. I tried, I really tried. God I loved her

I'm so sorry ((((((((hugs))))))))))

Your little Millie had the happiest, safest and most loved life a chicken could ever want
smile.png
She had a blessed life. She must have had good karma.

The best way to to find out for sure is to take her to the vet for a necropsy (an autopsy). At least then you'll hopefully know "why". It helps you not to blame yourself, or maybe even prevent this from happening to another bird, if it was an accident or illness.

I'm so sorry for your loss! I have just recently been in the same position you are, so I can definitely empathize. About 3 months ago, my black star Raven died at 7 months old. For her it was a sour crop issue and she was gone in less than 2 days. Not sure what happened to your hen, so I can't offer advice there. But I can tell you that it will get better with time. I was unbelievably devastated when Raven died and I just held her sobbing for a while after she was gone. She was my first chicken I've ever lost and it was so hard, but it got better with time. It's all a part of having animals, and I knew it would happen sooner or later, but that doesn't make it hurt any less when it does happen. You gave your girl such an amazing life and without a doubt she knew how much she was loved! Hang in there!
smile.png
**hugs**

I'm so sorry you lost little Millie. What was her personality like? Was she spunky? I've heard of the spunky chickens being more likely to get struck by venomous snakes because they might go after it. Do you have many snakes around? We do here, and I am constantly on the look out. You gave her the best life a chicken could have. She loved you in her little chicken way.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom