Why is she sleeping in the nest box?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
My red sex link hen, Ruth, has been sleeping in the nest box in our coop for the past couple of nights.
She isn't broody, as she's out during the day and doesn't mind when I move her.
The nesting boxes are well below the roosts.
I don't think she's being bullied, as she's not the lowest in the pecking order and I haven't seen any bullying.
IMG-1636.jpg

Coop interior: the other three hens have been sleeping on the farthest roost together and Ruth has been sleeping in the farthest nesting box. When I nudge her out of the box, she hops onto the roost with the others.
Any idea why she is doing this?
Ruth, the trouble chicken:
ruth headshot.jpg

I do not know- I have three RSLs and I've been getting 1-2 RSL eggs each day, along with my daily leghorn egg.
The edges are not sharp, but the roosts are just squares. She didn't have a problem with it in the several months that we've had our coop before this (that's an old pic) and because it's been windy they've been hanging out inside during the day, and I've seen her on the roosts then.
I think she's the second lowest, but I'll definitely take some time to try to watch more.
So this is new behavior.
The others sleep on the farthest roost next to the wall or window? If she roosts, where would she end up?
She may not want to be near the window, not sure - chickens are weird at times. Could be a draft. Could be pecking. Lice/mites or a number of other things.
Check her out good and observe her for several nights to see if you notice anything different.

Is she laying eggs?

Maybe the roosting bars are not comfortable for her? Are the roosts a bit rounded, hard to tell in the photo.
She may be getting picked at a bit too - take time to observe behavior. If she's the lowest in order, the others may be keeping her from roosting or she's just timid.

How old is Ruth? Sometimes older chickens just find it more comfortable to not jump up to the roosts.
Another thought, does she wait until last minute to go into the coop at night and she can’t quite see the roosts?

How old is Ruth? Sometimes older chickens just find it more comfortable to not jump up to the roosts.
Another thought, does she wait until last minute to go into the coop at night and she can’t quite see the roosts?
She is usually one of the first in, and they are usually all in right as the sun barely begins to set.
I don't know how old they are. I'm going to guess coming up on two years? I did not get them as chicks.

They've always slept next to the window. They don't roost in any particular order (with one chicken closest to the window) but when I nudge her out of the box, she just hops on the end.
I can check for mites under the roost tonight?
Yes, you can check for mites and lice tonight.
If she's eating/drinking and active during the day then just keep watch on her. Chickens do odd things at times.
Some birds don't roost in the same spot all the time.

It’s really stinking cold here this week, (-30 C before windchill, which brings it to -41) and I have a dramatic silkie that would prefer to sleep in the nest box instead of up on the roosts when it’s “too” cold. Nobody else does it, only her, and only when it’s cold. Lol. The other silkie who thought it was a good idea to start molting in January is doing just fine up on the roost with everyone else. Chickens are so weird. :p

Back
Top Bottom