Why is she sleeping in the nest box?

My red sex link hen, Ruth, has been sleeping in the nest box in our coop for the past couple of nights.
She isn't broody, as she's out during the day and doesn't mind when I move her.
The nesting boxes are well below the roosts.
I don't think she's being bullied, as she's not the lowest in the pecking order and I haven't seen any bullying.
View attachment 2519684
Coop interior: the other three hens have been sleeping on the farthest roost together and Ruth has been sleeping in the farthest nesting box. When I nudge her out of the box, she hops onto the roost with the others.
Any idea why she is doing this?
Ruth, the trouble chicken:
View attachment 2519697
Is she molting or just finishing? My Girls molted late Dec-Jan and they would sleep in the nest boxes. I think they wanted to be left alone as the new feathers came in & im sure were uncomfortable. Not sure if they were picked at. None of them were laying so I covered up the boxes. Sure wish they'd start laying again.

I do not know- I have three RSLs and I've been getting 1-2 RSL eggs each day, along with my daily leghorn egg.
The edges are not sharp, but the roosts are just squares. She didn't have a problem with it in the several months that we've had our coop before this (that's an old pic) and because it's been windy they've been hanging out inside during the day, and I've seen her on the roosts then.
I think she's the second lowest, but I'll definitely take some time to try to watch more.
So this is new behavior.
The others sleep on the farthest roost next to the wall or window? If she roosts, where would she end up?
She may not want to be near the window, not sure - chickens are weird at times. Could be a draft. Could be pecking. Lice/mites or a number of other things.
Check her out good and observe her for several nights to see if you notice anything different.

So this is new behavior.
The others sleep on the farthest roost next to the wall or window? If she roosts, where would she end up?
She may not want to be near the window, not sure - chickens are weird at times. Could be a draft. Could be pecking. Lice/mites or a number of other things.
Check her out good and observe her for several nights to see if you notice anything different.
They've always slept next to the window. They don't roost in any particular order (with one chicken closest to the window) but when I nudge her out of the box, she just hops on the end.
I can check for mites under the roost tonight?

How old is Ruth? Sometimes older chickens just find it more comfortable to not jump up to the roosts.
Another thought, does she wait until last minute to go into the coop at night and she can’t quite see the roosts?
She is usually one of the first in, and they are usually all in right as the sun barely begins to set.
I don't know how old they are. I'm going to guess coming up on two years? I did not get them as chicks.

My girls will not sleep anywhere near windows; fear of predators. They want to roost in a safe dark area. I had to cover my coop windows to get them to roost on the roost bars.
Mine actually usually squash toward the windows.....I'll try to get a picture tonight. All four have been roosting just fine for months.

She is usually one of the first in, and they are usually all in right as the sun barely begins to set.
I don't know how old they are. I'm going to guess coming up on two years? I did not get them as chicks.
She has me stumped!!
The only other thing I can think of is possibly the start of broodiness, where she is thinking about going broody.

It is a new development that they're sleeping on the roost farthest from the door, they used to sleep either on the closest, second closest, or some on each.

They've always slept next to the window. They don't roost in any particular order (with one chicken closest to the window) but when I nudge her out of the box, she just hops on the end.
I can check for mites under the roost tonight?
Yes, you can check for mites and lice tonight.
If she's eating/drinking and active during the day then just keep watch on her. Chickens do odd things at times.
Some birds don't roost in the same spot all the time.

Back
Top Bottom