Why is squatting causing aggressive behavior??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cicely, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Cicely

Cicely New Egg

Nov 15, 2014
    Humboldt County
    Hi all,
    Why when my hens squat does it cause a fight?? I have no roosters but when I approach them they often do the "squatting" thing.
    Recently, If they stay in that position and another hen is close by they attack her and it turns into an all out brawl. Is this normal behavior?
    Thanks!!! ;)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Jealousy is a green eyed monster.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had this just happen this morning and have seen it before....doesn't always happen and luckily my rooster doesn't object to my handling the hens.

I was holding a hen and checking her out, when I put them down I don't let them go right away just gently hold on until calm then let go, they are not squatting....another hen came over and started pecking the held one...so I grabbed her for a check over.

Not sure if it's jealousy, that's a human emotion, but it might be some kind of territoriality and/or dominance. I find watching their behaviors fascinating.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    aart, I doubt that it was jealousy - just a feeble attempt at humor on my part. Far more likely an attempt at improving rank by attacking an apparently submissive hen.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by