Why is the area where you live/your town so special?

Rhett&SarahsMom :

My city is special because we have a drug and prostitution problem, have demoted and cut our police and fire dept back and are now going to be shutting off street lights within the city.
Oh and we have the highest utility rates in the state. No business's want to be here and people are bailing left and right when they get a chance.
And the dog officer, who works part time, gets paid 50,000 a year!

But my having 5 chickens in my back yard is a "bad" and "illegal"

Used to be that the claim to fame in this are was "Johnny Appleseed is from here. Whoopie Doo!! And we have a bike race every July 4th weekend that makes it so you cant get out of the city because they have the roads blocked off.

the 4th of july celebration in Staunton is the only thing this town had going for it .. it drew a crowd of people from all over the country .. the band that played in the concert retired and it has never been the same​

The good things about my area:

1. It's rural.
2. Land taxes have been low historically.
3. Most people are fairly friendly, unlike many northern cities I've heard about.
4. We have low electric costs compared to some areas.

The bad things about my area:

1. It's rural. (I like rural, but you have to drive so far to everything). Want to go to a movie, join a hobby club, get a dog from the dog pound, buy some wheat to grind, visit a zoo, buy some cake decorating supplies, buy some fabric? Forget it. It doesn't exist in this county.
2. The local economy has been in a downturn for YEARS.
3. The local culture is really sort of limited. If you don't care about college football, you are almost an outcast. Thank God DH doesn't care about it anymore than I do.
4. We have substantial racial division here.
5. Good jobs aren't very plentiful.

All in all, I'll take rural over city any day!

Our area is special because of the people that live here. It is like living in Mayberry.
smile.png

I'm doing this about my home town, Gig Harbor WA. It's called the Gateway to the Olympic Peninsula. It's name is because a captain brought his ship (called a captain's Gig) into the harbor to take refuge from a storm. Thus, Gig Harbor. Some years ago GH successfully petitioned to keep Walmart out of the town. My family has lived here since the 1800s. They bought land from the government and farmed it for a time. My street name is the same as my last name. Aaaand some pictures for fun!

31006033LandscapeGigHarbor-1.jpg

The view of Mt Rainier, an active volcano, from Gig Harbor.

100_1561-1.jpg

The view from my parents property. Mt Rainer is hiding dead center, Vashon Island is to the left, the Port of Tacoma is to the right.

Random046-1.jpg

The house I grew up in! It's a traditional log cabin (open loft style, with few windows.) that my parents build themselves, no contractors involved.

And that's why Gig Harbor is awesome.

The town I live in isn't special for anything really. When you tell them you are from Mt. Holly, they think that's the Mt. Holly section of Charlotte, but we are actually across the river.

This is what Wikapedia says...
"Land grants were first issued in the Mount Holly area by King George II of Great Britain around 1750. In 1754, a land grant was issued to James Kuykendall of Holland in the locale known as Dutchman’s Creek. Later in 1838, a post office in the area was named Woodlawn. In 1875, the name of the town was changed to Mount Holly, after the Mount Holly Cotton Mill that was started that year. The name “Mount Holly” was used in recognition of the famed yarn made at a spinning mill in Mount Holly, New Jersey."

We don't even have out own name!!! It comes from a town in NJ. Hmmmm I come from a town in NJ too, lol.

Quote:
I agree 100% !!! WV has been my families home for over 150 years, you know when we was still Virginia. This to me is the best place in the world and I would never leave.
love.gif
Besides in our little town we have WV's LARGEST 4th of July celebration! Who could ask for more?
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom