Why is this so hard for me?

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
We just, finally, culled a crippled Marans pullet that we probably should have done a month ago. She's always been slightly disabled, but it wasn't a huge problem (just a limp) until she matured enough to put on substantial body weight. As she's gotten heavier, her legs have been increasingly unable to support her. I kind of let it go, because she didn't appear to be in any pain, and she just kind of stuck to the area around the coop. I knew what needed doing, but was in denial.

Then today, we saw her attacked three times in a row, by other pullets and also the rooster--fairly viciously. After the last attack, which we broke up, she was just lying in a heap...it was so sad. It was right then that I asked my husband to please put her down. But I am such a coward that I had to go into the house before he did it. I'm not sure why that is--I was present during the butchering of the roosters that we ate, but something about this poor crippled hen just got to me.

It had to be done, but that doesn't mean I feel good about it.

I feel for you. You know how much I love Zane, but I'm sure some are wondering why I dont just put him down. The day may be coming and it will be so hard. He's my special boy. Just shows you have a heart and empathy.

It happens. I think you did the right thing. I had to cull a two week old meaty because it started losing physical control within 24 hours. It was either kill it or let it starve to death or let the rest smother it because it could no longer walk or lift its head. Not pleasant, never is but sometimes needs doing to alleviate a slow and otherwise painful death.

Yeah, y'all get it. Having her limping around a little wasn't bothering me terribly, because she was eating well and behaving otherwise normally...but I couldn't just let her be pecked to death by the other chickens, which is what looked like was bound to happen.

(P.S. My amazing, wonderful father's name was Zane, so I have a soft spot just for that name.)

It's never easy to part with a piece of your heart, and that's exactly what you had to do. But you did the right thing with compassion:aww. Now go hug your other lovelies and hug your hubby too. (since I can only send hugs this way)

It's hard to put one of our feathered family members down, but harder still to watch them get picked and pecked on and to eventually suffer. You did the only thing you could, and remember her with the sweet memories, not the events of the day. Tell us a cute story about her, so we all can remember her in that light.
D.gif

i could cull and eat EVERY bird i have,,,,,,,except my roo, and his wifers,, i aint soft hearted, or have attachments to my birds,,, except them 2, and if they need to be put down, even big ole meany me will have to get someone else to do it!.
but what you did was the right thing,, keeping her and letting her go through that over and over would of hurt you both a whole lot more.

Back
Top Bottom