1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why isn't my EE...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicklover16, Jul 18, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I know that some breeds are a little slow to start laying, but all of my other hens except for my Easter Egger have been laying for almost two weeks now.................. should I be worried that she hasn't layed a single egg yet? thanks.

P.S. she's about 23 weeks old.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Sometimes they take a little longer than the average time. Mine never started at 20 weeks - usually around 24 or 25. I'd wait a little longer before getting worked up. You might get a gorgeous egg any day now! [​IMG]

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 [​IMG]

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Are you feeding her layer pellets? Some chickens are just a little slower than others.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Seems like I read about an EE who took a year to start. Mine were later than 20 weeks, I think 24 - 26 weeks, in that range. Hope yours doesn't wait too long!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If all are laying already except this one, you are doing better than me. With ten dual purpose pullets, I usually get my first egg somewhere around 18 to 20 weeks of age. Usually by the time they are 23, half of them are laying. They are usually all laying by the time they are maybe 27 weeks old. I have had some go much longer before they start. You are doing well. Congratulations.

I got some green eggs from another forum member and hatched some EE's last year. The three pullets all started laying before 23 weeks, but two of them laid brown eggs. That's the problem with EE's. They are mixes and you are never sure what you will get. But the green egg layer has given me a lot of large green eggs, laying about 13 eggs every 14 days. She went broody and is currently raising 6 chicks. I'm quite pleased with her. Hope you are happy with yours.

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    After reading on this subject extensively I've learned some breeds don't start laying until the following spring. So, let's hope yours is just a late bloomer. Mine were 18, 21 and 21.5 weeks. Every chicken develops a little different.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'm glad I'm not the only stuck in the EE boat! Mine is a flighty primadonna who is with-holding eggs from me. She's lucky she's beautiful and going to lay me green eggs (the hatchery I buy from is very reliable with breeding).

I swear I'm going to rename her Princess Primadonna PrissyPants.

9. keds45

keds45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    My easter egger (who turned 1 in march) laid eggs regularly for 2 months, and hasn't laid an egg now since november. For all intents and purposes she seems fine, everyone I've consulted has just scratched their heads. Go figure.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

EEs take FOREVER to lay. I think mine was around 30 weeks and my others started at 16 so I didn't think she would ever lay! LOL Watch for the squat [​IMG] Sometimes EE's lay brownish eggs too (not often but they do at times), are you SURE she isn't laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by