Why isn't my hen laying?

schmije

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Peoria, IL
My 1.5 year old EE has not laid an egg since the end of last year. She seems healthy as far as we can tell, so we can't figure out why she isn't laying.

We free range them, so we considered that she might be laying somewhere else in our yard. On a couple of occasions we left everybody penned up for several days, and she still didn't lay anything.

She sits in a nest box most days for a half hour or so. Then she comes out of the coop clucking, but she hasn't laid anything. We are almost positive she's not eating her eggs, because there's never any sign of a mess in the nest box. We only have one other hen laying right now, and her eggs are never damaged.

With the exception of the half hour she spends in the nest box, she spends all day roaming the yard with our other hens and acting perfectly normal.

She couldn't be egg bound, could she? Would that make her behave differently? I thought that if she was egg bound, she would have had some serious problems a long time before now.

We lost our two roosters in December, which was about the time that she stopped laying. Could that have anything to do with it?

Does anybody know what might be going on here? I'd really like for her to start paying rent again.

If you are sure that your hen is laying and eating her own eggs, then she could have a problem with her ovaries (tumors are much more common in hybrids than pure breeds).
Does she show any signs of masculinisation? Growing comb and wattles, attempting to crow etc? If so then she could have an ovarian failure or tumour.
You may need to take her to your vet. if he knows about poultry,
Sandie

We're pretty sure she's NOT eating eggs. And I haven't noticed any changes in her behavior, other than not laying. She clucks up a storm, but I've never heard her try to crow.

Back
Top Bottom