Why isnt my roo acting like a roo hes 5 1/2 MONTHS:(

happyhens44

BroodyAddict
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Northern WI
Hes FOR SURE A ROOSTER
hmm.png
hes barred rock, hes got his saddle feathers his hackle feathers. Hes a lighter color then the other barred rock hens..... hes FOR sure a roo!
idunno.gif

here is that I don't understand

1.) he Doesnt crow, or TRy TOO!
sad.png

2.) I have never seen him try to breed my hens, And im back their alot with them.

3.) the comb on him is about 1-2 cemtimeters.

4.)Yesterday I went to my neighbors and his roosters spur bumps Now have spurs coming out and mine doesnt and are rooster and the same age except diffrent breeds

about 3 of my hens are the same age and I dont think their laying yet.... and they should be by now its a black sex-link and a RIR and a White rock

is it possible hes just a late broomer.?

here are some pics when he was just 16 weeks old.

55446_trip_to_detroit_lakes_098.jpg

55446_trip_to_detroit_lakes_099.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought here, how close are your neighbors with the chickens?? Are they within earshot of your chickens? I ask this because my little roo, who is just now 2 months old, was crowing while he was in the brooder. Once I got them outside, he could hear my neighbors roos crowing, and he would not crow any more. I think the sound of the older roos intimidated him, so he knew he was smaller, and just shut up. After being out there for 2 weeks now, he has finally started crowing again. I guess he figured the big roos weren't going to come after him! The neighbor's roos are about 1/8 of a mile from my house, if your neighbor is closer, that could be his problem.

I have 2 roosters both about 5-6 months old, both are about the same size, the one thats 2 weeks older crowes and acts like a rooster, the younger one, never crowed (we think maybe once or twice, and just followes the older one around.

BTW, they are up for grabs on the selling fourm..

Last edited:
He is still young, give him time. I have a similar looking rooster whose comb and wattles are huge and he just recently started to crow. I bet in another month he will be bothering you with his crowing, and you'll wish for your old gay rooster back.

I think he's just young and immature. And yes, if he can hear other, older roosters he may just be keeping a low profile. My RIR crowed at 17 weeks and didn't start acting like a "real" rooster until he was about a year old. Now I'd give anything to have my laid back, "girly" rooster back!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom