Why isnt my roo acting like a roo hes 5 1/2 MONTHS:(

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyhens44, Aug 26, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Hes FOR SURE A ROOSTER [​IMG] hes barred rock, hes got his saddle feathers his hackle feathers. Hes a lighter color then the other barred rock hens..... hes FOR sure a roo! [​IMG]

here is that I don't understand

1.) he Doesnt crow, or TRy TOO! [​IMG]

2.) I have never seen him try to breed my hens, And im back their alot with them.

3.) the comb on him is about 1-2 cemtimeters.

4.)Yesterday I went to my neighbors and his roosters spur bumps Now have spurs coming out and mine doesnt and are rooster and the same age except diffrent breeds

about 3 of my hens are the same age and I dont think their laying yet.... and they should be by now its a black sex-link and a RIR and a White rock

is it possible hes just a late broomer.?

here are some pics when he was just 16 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Ha, I think people would line up to grab your rooster - he has no rooster traits!! No crowing, no aggressiveness,nada!

3. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    Indeed, I would love a gender confused rooster!

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    that isnt help haha.... I want the rooster traits though [​IMG]

5. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    He is beautiful, even know he's kinda girly!

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Just a thought here, how close are your neighbors with the chickens?? Are they within earshot of your chickens? I ask this because my little roo, who is just now 2 months old, was crowing while he was in the brooder. Once I got them outside, he could hear my neighbors roos crowing, and he would not crow any more. I think the sound of the older roos intimidated him, so he knew he was smaller, and just shut up. After being out there for 2 weeks now, he has finally started crowing again. I guess he figured the big roos weren't going to come after him! The neighbor's roos are about 1/8 of a mile from my house, if your neighbor is closer, that could be his problem.

7. imusa76

imusa76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I have 2 roosters both about 5-6 months old, both are about the same size, the one thats 2 weeks older crowes and acts like a rooster, the younger one, never crowed (we think maybe once or twice, and just followes the older one around.

BTW, they are up for grabs on the selling fourm..

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    He is still young, give him time. I have a similar looking rooster whose comb and wattles are huge and he just recently started to crow. I bet in another month he will be bothering you with his crowing, and you'll wish for your old gay rooster back.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I think he's just young and immature. And yes, if he can hear other, older roosters he may just be keeping a low profile. My RIR crowed at 17 weeks and didn't start acting like a "real" rooster until he was about a year old. Now I'd give anything to have my laid back, "girly" rooster back! [​IMG]

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    haha, yeah my neighbors about 1 mile away. I hope your right that he might start in a month or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by