why keep time in weeks?

I've kept a little chicken log. It records what I've spent and anything curious that took place. Like I can say now that pullets will Start growing in waddles at 8 to 9 weeks. Lose their chirp at 12 to 13 weeks. Course at 22 weeks I'm still awaiting an egg...with hopes that once the older ones pop it will kick start the 18 week old girls into action.

The only thing of real assurance is my first egg over easy is gonna easily cost over $150.
Had to build a nice looking coop ya know
wink.png

Quote:
$150? Are you missing a 0 or prorating over several eggs? LOL

We won't mention how much my first egg was... took 5 minutes to thoroughly enjoy every last drop.

Quote:
That brings up a point: for some things weeks are too fine a measurement. 2 months would be more accurate than 8 to 9 weeks, 3 months for 12 to 13 and 5 months would be better than 22 weeks. One thing about measurement is that it is only as accurate as half the unit each side so technicality 4 weeks is between 24.5 and 31.5 days whereas a month is between 15 and 45 days (that's using a "business month"). With the way chickens vary in their maturity the month thing would be a better measurement and lead to less consternation on the part of chicken owners in re to when their babies were going to lay.

Thus endth thy mathematics lesson for today.
smile.png

Quote:
Well, I'm thinking about putting a rooster pinup calendar in my henhouse. Maybe it'll encourage them to start laying...

That would be using a calendar, right?

Quote:
Well, I'm thinking about putting a rooster pinup calendar in my henhouse. Maybe it'll encourage them to start laying...

That would be using a calendar, right?

Only works if you have Mexican chickens.
lau.gif

Quote:
Caroline - - - angel laid her first egg today. It is a record - - I have NEVER seen any of my flock lay this young. I have 4 pullets a month plus older than her that still haven't laid.

Do the math and pm me - - - how old is she . . . . .

Back
Top Bottom