Why my hens don't become broody

Have you asked the folks who offer that advice how you are going to hatch eggs if/when your bird does go broody if there is not a rooster in the flock? Is purchasing fertile hatching eggs an option for your locale?
You have stated they are "local breeds" - are they domestic based breeds or more of a wild type of breed? Perhaps you can post a photo or two of the flock so we can see what you have? I know I am always interested in seeing breeds and birds from other locations.
How is your flock being kept? Since you mention you feel there must be something causing their aversion to broodiness it would be helpful to know what their day-to-day life is like in trying to help you find possible issues.

I have got different advices from different people. The one who says I shouldn't have a rooster, said this according to her own experience.
Yes I can purchase fertile eggs easily here.
Yes they are domestic breeds.
I don't have a backyard, so I have kept them at the roof. There was a shed at the roof and we used some net and wood to make a large cage under the shed. We made an area using bricks and cement and put some soil in it so that birds can have fun with earth. The only thing that I cannot provide is grass and plants etc. To feed them I mix commercial poultry feed with mixed grains. We have a home made feeder and they can easily eat from it. We are in front of the sea so the humidity is around 60%, temperature in days during summer is around 30-38 degree centigrade. During nights even in summer we have cool breeze from sea which feel really good after long hot days.

The only thing I can suspect is that I cannot provide them with greenery and its too hot during summer days. You cannot stand on the roof outside shed for more then few minutes. My flock is peaceful and looks like they all have accepted each other.

I don't think the heat is the problem. We have those conditions here and I've seen plenty go broody, usually when I just wanted them to lay. My bet is it's just a matter of time and/or your breeds don't go broody often. Even breeds that will go broody may not once during a year.

Back
Top Bottom