why no citrus or raw fish for chickens?

hitgsd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
So I am hip deep in citrus scraps right now the orange, and lemon trees are loaded down. I have been making marmalade, and juicing and then freezing the juice of both fruits, which leves a lot of scraps. I read somewhere not to feed this to the chickens, and just wondered why. Also we got some catfish out of our pond, and were cleaning them and the chickens got very interested. I threw them some of the organs and they had a great time playing keep away and eating them. Then I read no raw fish for chickens. They did not seem to suffer in ill effects and loved it, so why is it bad? These were catfish from our stocked pond, not wild caught if that makes a different. Just wondering.

I think the citrus...has something to do with...blocking protien..which is something chickens need...and just guessing because I do know that my chickens love fish..maybe raw has something to do with worms...sorry not to be able to give you a more informed reply...I am sure someone else will be able to help you more
D.gif
: yiipchick
caf.gif

Last edited:
Citrus fruits may reduce the calcium intake temporarily resulting in soft egg shells, they also have a chemical in them called limonene which is toxic to pigs and especially poultry; the limonene isn't too large of an issue though given that it is a lower amount than what it takes to be harmful. An occasional citrus fruit isn't going to kill a bird or harm them in anyway, at least not in my experience. Actually the vitamins they carry would be good for the birds.

Raw fish no clue; I would think maybe the shrimp deal where it can make the eggs taste fishy. But other than that there isn't much of an issue. One might worry about worms, but I'd be more concerned with the tape worms and all crickets, etc. can carry.

God bless,
Daniel.

I've never heard the thing about fish before.
idunno.gif
I feed my chickens fish guts. I think the issue may be with the bones.

However, I once asked if chickens would eat fish and was told they would, even heard stories about chickens who would catch minnows in the shallows. And I asked that here on BYC.

Quote:
Fish are real good for the birds, I've heard of people feeding them minnows and stuff before. I don't think a chicken would eat a bone, but they would most likely pick it clean like I've seen them do on other types of meat
smile.png
. I've sometimes thought about saving all of the guts after cleaning fish and giving them to the chickens, but usually go to the dogs/possibly chickens that free range.

Parasites are something to keep in mind with fresh raw fish. The small mouth bass here in Oregon can have parasitic cyst in the flesh. Some of the ocean fish caught off the jetties have some visibly bigger parasites in the meat. Salmon in the NW can carry a parasitic combo of a fluke and ricketsia that are deadly if dog ingests them. Freezing might take care of some of the parasites but cooking is the way to get make sure they are dead. What parasites are in the fish would depend all lot on the fish species and where you are in the country.

That said, I can bass and boil salmon heads for the dogs and chickens. It is great food for them and they love it.

I pay no attention to what i feed them. I figure nature has told them what to and not to eat. This would explain why they didnt care for the oranges i put of the other day(first time). Mine love tuna and all the fish parts when im cleaning some that I caught.

My chickens will not touch a satsuma orange, other citrus I am not sure about.

Fish, mine get raw fish all the time. I routinely feed them the roe from fish I have caught plus all the rib cages from the filets. They love'm.

Parasites are something to keep in mind with fresh raw fish

Parasite rarely transfer from species to species.

Most of the "warnings" about what chickens can have are overreactions.
They really aren't all that fragile​

Back
Top Bottom