why no citrus?

http://ps.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/55/4/1219
Cobb
color-sexed broilers were fed diets containing either 0.0, 2.5, 5.0 or 10.0 percent citrus sludge. Three replications of ten males and ten females each were randomly selected from each treatment at the end of the eight-week feeding period. No significant (P< 0.05) differences among levels of citrus sludge were found in carcass weight, percent cooking loss, shear force or sensory evaluation.

Eggs collected from Babcock B-300 hens fed diets prepared with citrus sludge at levels of 0.0, 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 and 20.0% were examined for differences in yolk color and development of off-flavors. Color differences (P < 0.05) were observed by reflectance colorimetery and the taste panel. The hue of the yolks increased (was more orange) as the dietary citrus sludge levels were increased. No significant flavor differences were detected by the taste panel for either the yolk or albumen.
Florida Agr. Exp. Stas. Journal Series No. 6066.

Citric Acid is used most if not all Poultry/Livestock Electrolyte mixes so I would say that it has nothing to do with the Acid levels in the Citrus.

I have found (others also) that there are a lot of incomplete, misinforming and incorrect information on that "Chicken Treats cough joke cough Chart".

Chris

Last edited:
"Citrus sludge" just sounds so appealing....
sickbyc.gif

Thank you for the factual information, Chris! Can we get the treat chart modified now?

Quote:
I the word "Sludge" makes it sound so bad.

I wish the would update the treat chart or at least delete it till they do update it.

Chris

I'm glad to hear citrus is ok! I have some just past ripe naval oranges I bought from an FFA student last month. I hate throwing them out and was hoping the chickens could have them. We'll see how the girls like them tonight.

Yep all of them will die, guaranteed. So will you and I.

We feed our chickens everything. Heck I spilled a beer and they pushed me out of the way to get at it.

Mold, dirt, rot, fresh, dry, wet, stinky, slimy. They really don't care. I saw one swallow a petrified mouse that fell out of a burlap bag while we were cleaning up. Probably tasted like leather, but down it went.

Mine wont eat lettuce though, and don't care for carrots either, unless they are shredded. And they will just about beat each other to death for chicken.

I probably would not put out blocks of mouse bait, but other than that, they eat just about anything they want. You would do well to consider the source of those lists, they may be from the same folks who say chicks must have 95* heat for x# of weeks and dropped 5*/day, or what ever it is. Bunch of baloney.

Throw out the food, what they don't eat, compost. After it composts for a while, they will probably dig it up and eat it...

Back
Top Bottom